Hanneke's Reviews > Warlight

Warlight by Michael Ondaatje

Read 2 times. Last read September 18, 2018 to September 27, 2018.

A wonderful and above all very mysterious novel. The mystery remains largely unrevealed. Two teenagers are abandoned by their parents who apparently still had undercover operations abroad to perform after the ending of WW-II. These activities are obviously so important that they leave their children in the care of trusted caretakers. These men don’t reveal anything to the children as to the predicaments their parents are in. Thus, these children’s lives feel like they are living on drifting sands, because nothing is certain and it is impossible to find out the truth what happened to their parents and where they are. The mother remains an enigma and her past obscure, even when she re-emerges from her travels after years abroad. Only tiny fragments of her past are revealed. Despite frantic searching, the son will never find out the whole truth.

The language of the book is very poetic and intriguing. I wonder why this book has not been chosen for the Booker Prize shortlist for 2018. In my opinion, this is a special book and Booker Prize worthy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warlight.

Finished Reading
September 18, 2018 – Started Reading
September 18, 2018 – Shelved
September 22, 2018 –
page 123
September 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Annelies (new) - added it

Annelies Dit overtuigt me dan om het boek ook te lezen, Hanneke.

Hanneke Ik vond het een prachtig boek, Annelies. Echt een bijzonder verhaal.

message 3: by Adina (new)

Adina Nic e review. I still have to read the English Patient before this one.

Hanneke I liked this one far better than The English Patient, Adina, although it has been a long time ago that I read that one and don't remember it clearly.

·Karen· My novel of the year I think. Neat write-up, Hanneke.

message 6: by Hanneke (last edited Sep 29, 2018 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hanneke Thanks, Karen. I agree with you. I just loved this book and I am so annoyed it is not on the Booker shortlist! I did not want to write an extensive review, so it came out a bit boring, but I did not want to give away too much of how the teenagers felt and how the boy searched to make sense of the behaviour of his mother (and his father who is altogether absent for ever).

·Karen· Hanneke wrote: "Thanks, Karen. I agree with you. I just loved this book and I am so annoyed it is not on the Booker shortlist! I did not want to write an extensive review, so it came out a bit boring, but I did no..."
Yes, reviewing it stymied me completely - I was speechless!

Hanneke Me too. I had not expected such a story in the slightest. It was stunning!

message 9: by Agnieszka (new) - added it

Agnieszka So glad you loved that one too, Hanneke. I'm to read this Ondaatje yet but have a strong feeling it'll be something right up my alley. Hope to learn soon.

Hanneke I guarantee you, Agniesz, that you will love it too!

message 11: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva Lovely review Hanneke. I just finished this, and havent written a review really. Especially liked Ondaatjes writting, very poetic.

Paula Kalin Superb review, Hanneke! You said it so well. I recently finished the audiobook and loved it. Review still coming. This is my first book by this author. I agree about the Booker shortlist. Warlight should have been included.

Hanneke Thanks, Paula. A wonderful book and so cleverly done. It is certainly a book to re-read to see if things escaped you now that you know how the story went or rather not went anywhere.

message 14: by Ines (new)

Ines Hanneke , it looks to be very interesting, i will buy it to read during my vacation in Greece this august. thank you! i really like your reviews, very interesting, clear and direct for whom is reading them!

Hanneke Ah, thanks, dear Ines. It is a special book and I think you would enjoy it on the beach in Greece because it is not a depressing book. At least, I did not think it was. Just mysterious and puzzling. And very well written! Hey, I would love to go to Greece again! Are you going to an island or mainland?

message 16: by Ines (new)

Ines I will go Mainland, just down Sparta,to Archanhelos and in the small island of Elafonisos..... Really one of the best beach I ever seen, there is not much to do( few restaurants, 2 supermarket in 25 km!! and no Hospital!!!) , very poor region but worth it!!

message 17: by Hanneke (last edited Jun 13, 2019 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hanneke Sounds great, Ines, I have never been in the Sparta region on the mainland! Actually, a few restaurants and a supermarket will do wherever you are in Greece. And a good beach, of course. I do so love Greece and listening to that cheerful language! And the people have such a great sense of humor too!
P.S. Just looked up Elafonisos and see that it is right above Kythira, where I have been some 10 years ago. Kythira is also a pretty much an island with not much tourism so, yes, a few restaurants and one really oldfashioned supermarket. In fact, the most stuffed up supermarket I had ever seen! With a sweet old owner, of course.