Brooklynn's Reviews > The Weight of Silence

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

Dec 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: bought, multiple-pov, missing-person, read-in-2012, reviewed-in-2012

I loved this book. I finished it within 24 hours and stayed up late last night to do so. I kept trying to find a place to stop, but then Heather Gudenkauf would drop a bomb in the last sentence of a character's perspective and I would have to continue. I adore books like that.

The story is about two 7-year-old girls that go missing from their houses in the early hours of the morning and their families desperate search for them.

What I really liked was how the story only took place within 24 hours, yet the author gave you amazing back story throughout that didn't interfere with the story at all and flowed amazingly. The plot was definitely captivating. It was an easy read, which made it simple to read in 24 hours; not a too difficult plot to understand, no use of extreme vocabulary, and no plot twists that left you lost.

What I really didn't like about the novel is that halfway through, (view spoiler) I also think that the ending should have been drawn out more. They should have given more time to Petra and her family; maybe even a chapter from Petra's point of view to let us know how she was feeling. I felt cheated out of that.

Would I suggest this book to someone? Definitely. While some people could find the subject matter a little 'too close to home' or disturbing, I feel the author has done her best to tell a horrible event in a tasteful way without being too harsh about the details. I really did like the book and plan to keep it on my shelf; maybe even revisit when the details start to fade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight of Silence.

December 30, 2011 – Shelved
December 30, 2011 – Shelved as: bought
January 2, 2012 – Started Reading
January 3, 2012 –
page 237
63.54% ""You mean the lady whose little girl was murdered? You don't think the same person who did that to her daughter had anything to do with this, do you, Louis?" I ask, my voice cracking."
January 3, 2012 –