Carolina Carvalho's Reviews > Summer of Salt

Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno

The atmosphere of this book is delightful, I wish By-the-Sea was a real place I could visit, because I could almost smell it, it was so vivid, and not because things were overly described, but because Leno is so good at evoking the mood and feeling of the setting. The weather played a big part in the book, and you could feel the way it affected the characters, which was not only apt considering the plot, but helped bring By-the-Sea to life without having to name every rock. I also liked how many of the characters were characterised by the spaces they inhabited, either by seamlessly fitting in or by standing out. The feeling of whimsy and wonder was sustained through pretty much the first half of the book, at which point things slowly start to unravel. And quaint, beautiful By-the-Sea starts fraying at the edges.

I really enjoyed how the island reflected the mental state of the characters. This is a small, close-knit community where everybody knows each other, and while that can be comforting -- Georgina is an out lesbian and no one on her little island bats an eyelash -- it can become claustrophobic, as soon as the people who've known you all your life turn their back on you. This book did a really good job of making this island the kind of place you'd love to visit but would think twice about moving to. It's so outwardly charming and picturesque, but places like that can be eerie in a way that is hard to describe, Leno managed it. It isn't that By-the-Sea hides some awful corruption, or inhabitants that are all twisted an evil, it's a place like many others, where people judge their neighbours too harshly, but at the end of the day they are reasonable people who actively want justice to prevail. It's just that this sort of picture-perfect, just odd enough to be exciting, type of place can lure you in and never let go. And there's a whole lot of world out there, especially for an 18-year-old girl.

The family dynamics in this book were phenomenal. Georgina's relationship with her sister was beautiful and heartwarming, her devotion and unwavering belief in Mary's innocence was wonderful, and her determination to save and avenge her brought some of the most intense and heartfelt moments in the whole novel. Their mother could at times feel a little distanced from their daughter's lives, especially considering what happens to Mary in the second half of the book -- but this is somewhat mitigated by the magical realism aspect of the story.

I was deeply invested in the romance for the first half of the book, at which point it gets put in the back burner and then develops a lot faster than what I would have liked. But this is not a romance, a romance exists, and it's adorable, but by no means the linchpin of the book. I still loved to see Georgina's and this girl's relationship develop, and how Gerogina's awkwardness and often clumsy interpretation of social cues only made her more endearing. It was sweet, I would have liked it to be explored more, but the book is ultimately about the relationship between the sisters and the island where they live, and I appreciated that aspect a lot too.

The awful thing that happens to Mary is predictable, but I don't think it's meant to be a mystery to the reader, only to Georgina, and the people of her little island who would never consider for a moment something like that could happen in their little community.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, there are some slight plot-contrivances, and one character's constant tiredness that is never explained properly, as well as a few other instances where conflict isn't totally resolved, but overall those didn't detract from my enjoyment. This is a book about the strength of the bonds between siblings, between friends, and the ways tragedy doesn't break us. Maybe things got resolved (in the legal front, at least) a little too cleanly, but I won't fault a book for imagining a reality better than our own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of Salt.

September 17, 2018 – Started Reading
September 17, 2018 – Shelved
September 17, 2018 –
34.0% "This is so cute thus far. I love the setting, it's just slightly magical and a lot whimsical. I love the kind of books that feel like a warm blanket."
September 23, 2018 – Finished Reading