Holly's Reviews > Lives Other Than My Own: A Memoir

Lives Other Than My Own by Emmanuel Carrère

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reads

Something about this book felt slightly different and strange, offbeat, innovative, perhaps just "French"? Carrere simply sets out to tell the stories of a few other human beings whose lives intersected with his own around the mid-2000s. They aren't biographical accounts at all - it reads more like a memoir, although Carrere doesn't divulge all that much about his own life. Another Goodreads reviewer thought the author's egocentrism and self-congratulation were a problem. I disagree and didn't see that, nor thought that he inserted himself into other people's tragedies. Although he does reflect on his reasons for writing, he really sets the accounts - and his peripheral involvement in the lives - before the reader, without guile or self-aggrandizement. Self-consciousness, though, yes, but of the kind that is necessary and without which this book would not make sense. Thoughtful and sobering (not depressing).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lives Other Than My Own.

December 30, 2011 – Started Reading