Thenia's Reviews > To the Brink

To the Brink by Cindy Gerard

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, contemporary, r-ab, romance, romantic-suspense, series, reviewed

Another second chances story, this time starring a divorced couple who never quite got over one another.

Ethan and Darcy had a whirlwind romance, where they fell in love nearly at first sight, spent a few amazing days together and decided to get married before Ethan's Special Forces team would get deployed again.

At first things were fine, despite the distance making things hard for them, but soon (view spoiler), got between them and eventually led to their divorce.

When Darcy unexpectedly reached out to Ethan, however, leaving him a message that she thinks she's in trouble and could use his help, before disappearing, Ethan drops everything and with the help of his badass brothers and an equally badass friend, rushes to her rescue.

Getting her and another captive of the bad guys out of the jungle, isn't the end of Darcy's trouble, though, since the main bad guy is still out there and very much put out that his plans to get rid of her were foiled. (view spoiler)

I liked seeing how their romance bloomed and then what went wrong in their marriage, but I didn't like the flashbacks that brought us back and forth in the story's timeline all that much, since I generally become impatient when stories change points of view or timelines just when I get invested in the one I'm reading.

Anyway, the two finally get the chance to resolve the issues that broke them apart, and eventually find their way back together, giving us a satisfying happily ever after.

The series continues with one of Nolan's friends we met in the first book, Jason, in Over the Line.

Previous book reviews:
To the Limit (The Bodyguards, #2)
To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Brink.

September 16, 2018 – Shelved