Gabby's Reviews > Summer of Salt

Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno

bookshelves: 4-star-books, contemporary, love-the-concept, lgbt, own, read-in-2019, read-in-one-day, romance, young-adult

This was a lovely, cute magical book. I typically don't read a lot of young adult fiction anymore, especially those that involve magical realism. It's not usually my thing, but I've been hearing such high praise about this book and the premise sounded interesting enough so I decided to give it a ago, and I ended up really enjoying this. This is a short and sweet novel that takes place over a summer on an island that follows this family of women - and it packed quite an unexpected emotional punch.

I was drawn into this book by the gorgeous writing. It was truly magical, charming writing which I really liked. This book had just the right amount of magic to keep me interested. I loved the main character and her sister and their family powers. I also love that the main character is a lesbian, and her friend is asexual, there's a lot of great diverse representation in this novel, and there are some trigger warnings for: (view spoiler) which was so unexpected and added so much more to this story emotionally for me. This story and these characters are so feminist and the message in this book is so important and powerful. It kind of reminded me of the book The Astonishing Color of After with the people turning into birds element of it haha, which is another YA magical realism novel I really enjoyed.

Overall, I loved this story. It's not a new all time favorite, but it was definitely worth reading. I flew through this book in a day, and I just really adore the family this book follows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of Salt.

September 16, 2018 – Shelved