Bill Newell's Reviews > A Natural Woman: A Memoir

A Natural Woman by Carole King

U 50x66

I’m not a fan of entertainment celebrities or their memoirs, but on a recent trip Susan and I were riveted by Carole King’s 2012 audio book A Natural Woman: A Memoir (of which she is the reader as well as the author). We liked it in part because she offers a peek into the nuts and bolts of the pop music business—writing music and lyrics, recording, tours, performing, lighting, mixing, the whole nine yards. Partly, because she doesn’t hesitate to burst into song to illustrate a point, and while she is about my age, she can still belt it out and she hits every note absolutely dead on. But mostly because it feels as though she’s ruminating out loud about her life and not infrequently arriving at conclusions about herself that she finds embarrassing, even painful. Still, she confronts them head on. The leitmotif running through the book is her search for a “normal life” while engaging in a career that is anything but normal. It has some of the elements of a classic Greek tragedy. When we got back home, I immediately went to YouTube and played the entire Tapestry album. Those songs had a poignancy and layers of meaning they never did before, now that I feel like I know her. As her Jewish mother might well have said to her, Try it—You’ll like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Natural Woman.

September 2, 2018 – Started Reading