Melanie's Reviews > Eliza and Her Monsters

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, romance, read-in-2018

“You found me in a constellation.”

Friends, I loved this story. And if the ending was a little different, this would have been such an easy five star read. I love books centered on creators on the internet. While reading this, I was constantly reminded of one my favorite books of all time, Radio Silence by Alice Oseman. Which, I’m not really sure if here is any higher praise than to be compared to that book.

But basically, this book is all about putting yourself out there, carving yourself a little home on the internet, and feeling like you belong, even if your life offline isn’t the easiest to understand. And this book follows two characters very invested with the same fandom

Eliza Mirk - AKA: LadyConstellation, creator of one of the biggest webcomics online, Monstrous Sea.

Wallace Warland - The new boy that just joined Eliza’s school halfway through senior year. Oh, and Monstrous Sea’s biggest fanfiction writer.

“You wrote back…”

Eliza and Wallace’s paths inevitably cross, and he begins to share with her the fanfiction transcribes of the webcomic she has secretly created. And these two meeting offline was one of the most heartwarming things I’ve read all year, even though Wallace has no idea just how much Eliza is invested in this fandom. I think there is just something so beautiful about how accepting and understanding they were of the times that it’s hard to talk, or that it’s almost too much to talk. Honestly, seeing them write back and forth together, side by side, gives me more feelings than I have words for. But I loved it and thought it was so very beautiful.

This book is a love letter to the power of healing that friendships can truly have. Yet, also the healing power of fandoms and celebrating your love for something with others. The magic of finding a person you can be yourself, your true self, no masks, no fakeness, no lies, it’s something that I can’t put into words. But seeing Eliza and Wallace experience that was perfection.

But this is a story about art and how sharing your art is truly like sharing a piece of your heart. And this book really talks about how scary that can be! Yet, also how your art can inspire so many others’ art and it really can create such a beautiful cycle.

And not to bring up Radio Silence constantly, but this book also touches upon how school isn’t for everyone, no matter what people try to make you think. That there isn’t some magical step program of getting good grades in school that will lead you to an amazing university on a full-paid scholarship, which will obviously lead you to the perfect job where you will become filthy rich and experience nonstop happiness! People have so many paths they can choose from, and so many paths that are right and wrong for them. And that’s beautiful and that’s okay.

“She drew so many monsters that she became a monster herself.”

Overall, I loved this book. Fandoms and having an online presence are things that I think I’ll always enjoy reading about, because it’s something very close to my heart. I will say that Wallace’s behavior at the end of this book, and the reason why he wanted Eliza to overcome it all, was just off-putting. But besides that, I loved this book. It made me soft, and warm, and ever so thankful to every single person who reads my reviews and interacts with me. Seriously, you all make me feel so blessed every single day and bring me more happiness than I can measure.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Content and trigger warnings for suicidal thoughts, talk of past suicide, panic attacks, abandonment, minor bullying, talk of past loss of loved ones, grief depictions, and depression depictions.

❤ I read this for Contemporary-a-thon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eliza and Her Monsters.

September 15, 2018 – Shelved
September 20, 2018 – Started Reading
September 20, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
September 20, 2018 –
page 140
36.36% "This book puts such a big emphasis on how much carving out your own little corner of the internet can mean and change your life… and I’m feeling soft about it. So, friendly reminder that I love you all and I’m so very thankful for everyone who takes the time to read my reviews and interact with me. 💖"
September 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Aki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aki This is one of my favorite books! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it and same thought with Wallace. Didn't like him at the end, too.

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas I've been wanting to read this one for awhile. Glad you enjoyed it Melanie.

Melanie Aki wrote: "This is one of my favorite books! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it and same thought with Wallace. Didn't like him at the end, too."

Awh, this makes me so happy! I hope you're currently having happy reading, too, love! 💛xx

Melanie (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "I've been wanting to read this one for awhile. Glad you enjoyed it Melanie."

Awh, thank you so much, Bern! I hope you're currently having happy reading, love! 💛xx

Brianna It makes me so happy to hear you enjoyed this one, Melanie! It’s one of my faves😊 I actually just finished Radio Silence and also noticed the similar themes between the two stories. It’s so, so good that these topics are being brought up in YA contemporary!
And great review, as always💗

message 6: by Cal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cal (Constant Raving Reviews) The ending was what stopped me rating it higher too!

Melanie Brianna wrote: "It makes me so happy to hear you enjoyed this one, Melanie! It’s one of my faves😊 I actually just finished Radio Silence and also noticed the similar themes between the two stories. It’s so, so goo..."

Awh, Brianna! This warms my heart! And yeah... I feel like these books just... call to me? Even though I haven't been able to find too many of them! I really loved this one. Thank you for motivating me to pick it up! And I hope you're having happy reading, love! 💛xx

Melanie Cal wrote: "The ending was what stopped me rating it higher too!"

Right? I was like... "brah, no!" Haha! But the rest was so damn good! I hope you're having happy reading, Cal! 💛xx

Emily DiGiulian Yes! I love this book so much! It is one of my favorites. I. So glad you enjoyed it! What was your favorite part of the book?