Emily's Reviews > Sawkill Girls

Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand

12065550

bookshelves: owned-tbr

"That blackness was in her head now--moving, gnawing, unknowable."

Sawkill Girls was one of the Ladies of Horror Fiction picks for the October readalong. This was the first book I've read by Claire Legrand, and I enjoyed it! There were some good creepy scenes, and I loved the setting of the story. This book has a diverse cast, and it was a refreshing read.

The author's writing is gorgeous, and it's very easy to get swept up in this story. Even though the last portion of the book dragged a lot, I was still interested in the story, and always enjoyed the writing style.

Besides the odd pacing at some parts, my other issue was that I wish there would have been more build-up to a relationship in the book. It felt like it came out of nowhere, and insta-love is an issue I consistently have with YA books. I wish the relationship would have been paced a little better, but it's not anything that ruins the story.

I hope that Claire Legrand writes more horror; I would definitely read it. I feel like the ending of this book left it open for a potential series, and I would love to read more books set in this world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sawkill Girls.

September 15, 2018 – Shelved