Jasmine's Reviews > Magic Harvest

Magic Harvest by Mary Karlik

Magic Harvest is straight up fantasy. It's magical. It's dark. It's fantastic.

We have Layla, a half-faerie/half-human, who is shunned by the rest of her family because she is a half-breed. Layla knows nothing of her human father, but her mother is fae. Her mother is also dead, along with her stepfather; they were eaten by a dragon. Yep, a dragon.

Layla is older now, but she's still terrified that the dragon will return one day and kill more faeries. She's especially worried about her sister Isla, who is determined to have her freedom away from her half-breed sister. Not even Isla wants to be seen with her. Layla is hurt, but she lets her sister go. Unfortunately for Isla, she and her friend Esme end up kidnapped and taken to the human world.

Layla is determined to save her sister, but when she arrives in the human world herself, she is nowhere near prepared for what she discovers.

The story is really intriguing because it touches on a subject that a lot of fantasy stories usually don't deal with: trafficking. I'd expect to see something along those lines in a crime novel (suspense/thriller) or something like that. I think that's what made Magic Harvest so unique. Faeries weren't just being kidnapped; they were being, well, harvested for their magic. It's kind of dark, actually.

I really liked the characters of Layla and Ian. Layla just wants to fit in and do the right thing, but she's shunned for being different. And Ian is just an overall good guy. He doesn't question the existence of faeries, nor does he balk at offering assistance to Layla when she goes to track down her missing sister. He's pretty great.

The character of Connor, though... well, he sucks. He's awful, and I hated him with a fiery passion. Sure, he doesn't get a ton of actual "screen time," but he's definitely a horrible, bad, evil person.

There were some interesting twists in the book that I didn't expect, but it made me enjoy it even more. I was kept on my toes throughout the entire story, and that's definitely a plus. I like stories like that.

The only thing I really wanted, and I assume will be touched upon in the coming sequel(s), was more backstory for Layla. I wanted to know more about her father and how she came to be a half-breed. I suppose I'll have to wait and see...

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed with Magic Harvest, and I quite liked the story a lot. I'm looking forward to the next book.

4 stars from me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Harvest.

September 14, 2018 – Started Reading