Jay's Reviews > Griswoldville

Griswoldville by Jordan M. Poss

Disclaimer: I know the author and received a copy personally from him.

I’m usually not one for Civil War history, fictional or otherwise. It seems like every young American boy interested in history is gifted with a glut of McPherson, Shaara, and Künstler. I was burned out on Civil War history some time ago.

However, I found this novel particularly readable. The best history is local history, and Poss brings his knowledge of rural Georgia and southern family dynamics to bear on this “discovered memoir”.

The language resembles many turn-of-the-last-century novels and, at times, may seem stuffy or antiquated. Poss helpfully includes a glossary for those unfamiliar with Civil War-era military jargon.

The story itself is a distinctly Southern tale: it takes its time getting started and you’ll miss the important bits of you aren’t paying attention. I found the story believable but for one event at the junction of the climax and denouement, but literary license must be granted. This is, after all, a work of fiction.

Poss’ afterward and appendices placed the work in a larger context; some might argue the “found letters” would be better placed at the beginning or scattered strategically throughout the text.

Ultimately, Griswoldville is a solid novel that should provide several hours’ pleasure to academic and amateur history buff alike.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griswoldville.

September 14, 2018 – Started Reading