PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps 's Reviews > Paper Girl

Paper Girl by Cindy R. Wilson

***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of PAPER GIRL by Cindy R Wilson in exchange for my honest review.***

Zoe, who has agoraphobia and Jackson, who is homeless play online chess under screen names. Unbeknownst to either, they were schoolmates before Zoe’s anxiety escalated and she stopped leaving the house. When Jackson becomes her tutor and figures out Zoe is his online friend and opponent he struggles with disclosing the relationship and having the girl he likes realize he’s homeless.

My favorite part of PAPER GIRL was that Wilson stayed away from the trope love cures mental illness. Zoe worked with a therapist and set treatment goals. Her recovery wasn’t entirely realistic in the speed or activities she tried. Prom and a stadium full of people watching graduation gives people who aren’t agoraphobic anxiety.

I also enjoyed the arc with Jackson and his father, although Jackson’s homelessness made not having a place to live seem easier than the reality those without a place to live experience.

Wilson made me care about the major and minor characters, root for their successes. I read PAPER GIRL in one sitting. I look forward to more Cindy R Wilson books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Girl.

September 14, 2018 – Started Reading