Reading Teen's Reviews > Article 5

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Dec 29, 2011

bookshelves: great-on-audio

The audio:

Jenny Ikeda was fantastic reading Article 5. She just has a voice for audio, if that makes sense. She doesn't exactly sound like a teenager, which I know bothers some when listening to YA, but I don't think she sounds old either, more like early 20's. Sometimes that bugs me, but it really didn't at all with Article 5. It almost read like someone who was telling a story about what happened to her in the past, and so I thought the voice really fit. Her voice was soothing, yet engaging. She got excited when the book got exciting, and angry when the characters were angry. It was really a fantastic and exciting book to listen to. Her voices for the different characters weren't as distinct as others I've heard. This might be a problem in books where there are a lot of prominent characters, like the Nightshade series, but Article 5 was mostly narration and internal dialog, with two main characters that did the speaking, so it worked great. If you'd like to listen to a sample of her reading, you can check that out here. I absolutely recommend listening to this one! It will completely suck you in!

-Andye

The Book:

Okay, I am having tremendous luck lately with the Dystopian genre. I loved the Hunger Games trilogy (of course), Divergent, Delirium, Legend and now Article 5! Yes it deserves to go in with the Hunger Games category of best Dystopians ever. The storyline was phenomenal, adventurous and a roller coaster ride. The story was set years and years from now. Everything was illegal... owning certain magazines to having an affair. You could be locked up for anything in the world that Ember and Chase live in.

Ember was the main character, she was such a sad girl. Ember only had her mom, she and her were so close. I loved Ember's character, she went through so many ups and downs in Article 5, she was always a trooper. Ember sometimes was a little naive. She wouldn't let Chase protect her fully. She was constantly distrusting of everyone and she risked her life and a few lives of others to find her mother after they were separated. I did get very frustrated with Ember at times, her distrust of certain people put her own life into jeopardy. Multiple times!

Chase was an excellent addition to this book. He was mysterious and he took care of business. Chase cared for Ember but ever since he became a soldier they drew apart. I liked how the author wrote Chase's character. He was sensitive when he needed to be and a fighter when it was time.

I would say read this book as soon as it's released. It had several holes in it that annoyed me, but only a little, and the rest of the story made up for what was lacking. Article 5 was amazing and such a nail-biter. Seriously, if you like non-stop action with some pretty intense moments/scenes, you'll LOVE this book! The tension in Article 5 was really hard core, the book wasn't scary but really dramatic. I doubt I would have made it out alive if I were Ember, but maybe if I had Chase at my side, I would at least enjoyed the near death experiences.

-Amy
Reading Teen

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Article 5.

message 1: by Brianna (new) - added it

Brianna I loved how real Ember's thoughts were. You will absolutely love Breaking Point. It (in my opinion) was even better than the first book! Ember turns from an innocent child to a hardcore fighter even more throughout this books!