Amy's Reviews > State of Wonder

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

did not like it
bookshelves: adult, book-club

I regret finishing this book.

But I didn't know I would regret it until I was four pages from the end. FOUR pages. I still can't believe a 350-page book could be ruined in four pages.

The whole time I was reading I thought the book was about the fertility drug or the malaria vaccine or coming to terms with Anders Eckman's death or possibly finding Anders Eckman or learning from Dr. Swenson or Marina coming to terms with her past. And in the end, it wasn't about any of those things but rather selfish desires, unfaithfulness, and broken promises.

The book has left me feeling cheated as a reader. Instead of being deeply intriguing, it was pointlessly shallow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read State of Wonder.

December 29, 2011 – Started Reading
December 29, 2011 – Shelved
January 5, 2012 – Shelved as: adult
January 5, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 29, 2012 – Shelved as: book-club

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm interested to know what you think of this one. I read Bel Canto a few years ago and enjoyed it but seem to remember a fair bit of language.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Good to know.

Alison Kuhlman I'm so happy to know that someone else felt this way! Ugh I just finished it and feel so cheated.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Alison wrote: "I'm so happy to know that someone else felt this way! Ugh I just finished it and feel so cheated." Exactly! It seems like those of us who didn't like it are in the minority, so thanks for commiserating!