Julie's Reviews > The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls

The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls by Anissa Gray

bookshelves: berkley, contemporary-fiction, e-book, netgalley, 2019

The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls by Anissa Gray is a 2019 Berkley publication.

Even healthy and happy families are complicated and complex. This is especially true with mother and daughter relationships, and the connections between sisters. In this novel, Gray examines the darker aspects of the relationship between three sisters as they struggle to make peace with a turbulent past.

The reader must watch as they slowly, and often painfully, accept a new set of equally challenging circumstances, and learn to cope with personal demons, while trying to do what is best for the next generation.

Althea helped to raise her younger siblings, often taking the brunt of their abusive father’s righteous wrath. Now, as adults, Althea and her husband, Procter, are facing prison time, which means their twin daughters, Kim and Baby Vi, are staying with Althea’s sister, Lillian.

Lillian, a widow, who is already taking care of her aging former mother-in-law, is at a loss about how to deal Kim’s problems. Lillian is haunted by her own experience with abuse, while Viola, on a break from her long-term girlfriend, is struggling to keep her eating disorder at bay.

This novel is a poignant, yet powerful debut novel. The story alternates between the first- person narrative of the three sisters, as they each share their own journey from the past to the present.

This technique is especially effective here, as the reader can see the same set of events from different perspectives. Each sister endured a traumatic childhood, and is coping in her own individual way, while harboring unique memories, fears, and resentments.

However, Lillian and Viola rise to the occasion when they become responsible for their nieces, while Althea must take responsibility for her actions, and accept the reality of her own proclivities and shortcomings.

The future offers hope, as they all begin the journey towards forgiveness, acceptance, and healing, not only as individuals, but as strong women, mothers, daughters, sisters and family.

Even though the story lags in a few spots, it is realistic, raw, and unflinchingly emotional, but above all, hopeful. I know I will think of these characters often and wish them well.

A very solid and personal debut novel!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls.

September 13, 2018 – Shelved
September 13, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
May 6, 2019 – Started Reading
May 6, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
June 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)

message 1: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Sounds like a moving read. Lovely review, Julie!

Julie Mackenzie wrote: "Sounds like a moving read. Lovely review, Julie!"

Thank you, Mackenzie!! It is moving, a bit dark too, but concludes with a positive outlook. 💕🌹

message 3: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie!🤗💜

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Nice review, Julie. You liked it one star more than me :)

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Great review, Julie! 😊

message 6: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad to hear this was a great debut novel and you have a new author to enjoy reading, Julie ;) Outstanding review, my friend!! 💚💜❤️

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!🤗💜"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 💕🌹

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad to hear this was a great debut novel and you have a new author to enjoy reading, Julie ;) Outstanding review, my friend!! 💚💜❤️"

Thank you, so much, dear KAS!! 🌹💕😊

Julie Jaline wrote: "Great review, Julie! 😊"

Thank you, Jaline!! 😊💕🌹

Julie Jen wrote: "Nice review, Julie. You liked it one star more than me :)"

Thank you, Jen!! 🌹💕

message 11: by sue (new) - added it

sue Super review!

Julie sue wrote: "Super review!"

Thank you so much, Sue!! 💕🌹

message 13: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Great review, Julie!!

message 14: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Fabulous review Julie!!💖💋👍

message 15: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Terrific review Julie glad you enjoyed XO :)

message 16: by leslie hamod (new)

leslie hamod Wonderful!!!!!!

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed this one too.

message 18: by Julie (last edited Jun 07, 2019 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Julie!!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊😊

Julie Kat wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!!💖💋👍"

Thank you so much, Kat!! 🌹💕

Julie leslie hamod wrote: "Wonderful!!!!!!"

Thank you, Leslie!! 💕🌹

Julie Lisa wrote: "Terrific review Julie glad you enjoyed XO :)"

Thank you, Lisa!! 🌹💕

Julie Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed this one too."

Thank you so much, Norma!! 💕🌹

message 23: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly Wonderful review at always Julie!

Angela M Terrific review, Julie.

message 25: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Great review 😍🔰. I actually DNF 'd this, but I'm in the minority! 💩

Holly  B Glad you enjoyed it Julie!

message 27: by Lady Alexandrine (new)

Lady Alexandrine Amazing review Julie! This debut novel sounds very interesting :)

message 28: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Brilliant review Julie !!

JanB I thought this was. terrific debut to Julie. The characters have also stayed with me. Great review!

message 30: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Strydom Lovely review

message 31: by Beata (new)

Beata This debut sounds really good, Julie 🙂 I'm always happy when an interesting new author appears on the horizon ... Grand review!!

Julie Beverly wrote: "Wonderful review at always Julie!"

Thank you, dear Beverly!! 💕

Julie Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Julie."

Thank you, Angela!! 💕

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Great review 😍🔰. I actually DNF 'd this, but I'm in the minority! 💩"

Thank you, TQ!! I'm sure one wasn't for everyone. 💕

Julie Holly wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!! 💕

Julie Lady Alexandrine wrote: "Amazing review Julie! This debut novel sounds very interesting :)"

Thank you, Lady A.!! It's dark, but ends on a very positive note. 💕

Julie Lucy wrote: "Brilliant review Julie !!"

Thank you so much, Lucy!! 💕

Julie Amelia wrote: "Lovely review"

Thank you very much, Amelia!! 💕

Julie JanB wrote: "I thought this was. terrific debut to Julie. The characters have also stayed with me. Great review!"

Thank you so much, Jan!! I was impressed with this one! 💕

Julie Beata wrote: "This debut sounds really good, Julie 🙂 I'm always happy when an interesting new author appears on the horizon ... Grand review!!"

Thank you so much, Beata! 💕

message 41: by Nishtha (new)

Nishtha Amazing review

Julie Nishtha wrote: "Amazing review"

Thank you, Nishtha! 💕

message 43: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie! i hope to start this soon!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! i hope to start this soon!"

Thank you, Meredith!! Looking forward to your thoughts on this one! 💕

message 45: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Excellent review, Julie.

Julie Esil wrote: "Excellent review, Julie."

Thank you, Esil!! 💕

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Really great review, Julie! 🙌🏻

Julie Michelle wrote: "Really great review, Julie! 🙌🏻"

Thank you so much, Michelle!! 💕

message 49: by Diane (new)

Diane Barnes I've been up and down on this one, and still haven't decided, but your review moved it forward a notch.

Julie Diane wrote: "I've been up and down on this one, and still haven't decided, but your review moved it forward a notch."

Thank you, Diane!! This one is heavy and dark, and might not be for everyone. But, I'm glad I read it. I think it will leave a lasting impression on me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, if you decide to try it! 💕

« previous 1