Cheryl M-M's Reviews > Dark Paradise

Dark Paradise by Gene Desrochers

The personal experience of St. Thomas, the surroundings and the people is what gives this story the extra spice and flair. It’s quirky and funny, despite the seriousness of the situations. Boise Montague is larger than life and the kind of character you don’t forget.

Boise returns home looking for some peace after a personal tragedy. His wife died in a tragic accident, but he is convinced it was murder. The police get fed up of his conspiracy theories and he decides to feed his frustrations elsewhere. He does what many of us do when we are lost or are coming to the end of our lives, he goes looking for connections from the past. The house he used to live in, the streets he played in and the friends he grew up with.

Of course he finds, as many of us do, that life continues to move on even if we aren’t there to watch it do so. Boise is surprised to find his childhood friend dead, a drug dealer killed in the middle of a business exchange. I think his fragile state of mind is what sets him on the path of detective come saviour. He can’t prove his wife was killed, so he decides to find the person who killed his friend instead.

Boise is like an ill advised hound dog, who has found a scent and jut can’t get it out of his nose. He has this deep need to do what he feel is right and to instil a sense of justice on the world. The trouble is that everyone else has no interest in his quest, and he ends up stirring up a few hornet nests.

Thus starts a series of connections with colourful and hilariously eccentric characters, who aid and push him towards a tragic and violent solution. A combination of characters I hope to see again, because Boise Montague has made his mark on the genre of Caribbean noir, as has the author of course.

I do think the end was a bit like coming out of the eye of a hurricane and straight into a short, turbulent and destructive storm. Then again the whole story was a whirlwind from the start. I would like to see his sidekicks developed more, and of course will he ever find out what happened to his wife?

It has the exotic nuances of a Caribbean story mixed with a noirish feel, and yet it is also full of snark and the laid back feel of a humid, sun-stroked island. It is definitely worth a read.
*I received a copy courtesy of the author*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Paradise.

September 13, 2018 – Started Reading