Tarissa's Reviews > Why Read Moby-Dick?

Why Read Moby-Dick? by Nathaniel Philbrick

This is a fun “quick” book to read (particularly quick, when you've read a 7-week novel of infinite length). This guide can probably help you understand the ginormous novel Moby Dick just a bit better. I know it helped me! There was definitely some elements that I can understand more because of this book. It unlocked some of the layers of Moby Dick. We learn about Melville's life, his friends, and some of his writing projects. We learn about the inspiration behind such a titanic volume about a whale. While I wouldn't say this is a very in-depth study, it definitely covers a lot of ground – or nautical miles, as the case may be. I also don't know if this book would effectively win over a person who hasn't read the classic yet, but it might prod them – or at the very least, inform them.

Personally, I recommend reading this particular guide after finishing the classic itself, and not before... just so that you don't learn all about the outline of the plot of Moby Dick.) Anyways, I ended up learning quite a bit about Herman Melville himself, and some bits about why certain elements are brought up in the book.

Moby Dick is a novel that transcends time with the arguments, lessons, and characters it contains. Some of us just need a little guidance to see those elements in our modern times. Thanks, Mr. Philbrick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Read Moby-Dick?.

September 12, 2018 – Shelved