Catherine's Reviews > Five ​Dark Fates

0,5) Queens of Fennbirn ★★★★
1) Three Dark Crowns ★★★★
2) One Dark Throne ★★★★
3) Two Dark Reigns ★★★★

I think this finale book will be very polarizing for every reader who liked the Three Dark Crowns series until then: either it was what you wanted or it wasn't. Yes, there will be 3 stars ratings like always, but I think that mostly we have the ones who will give it 4 stars: good finale, makes sense, it was what they expected from the conclusion and the ones like me giving it 2 stars: we really liked this book series and yes, some things from this ending were predictable so we're not shocked, but we still don't have to like it, plus some things aren't explained and we're left with a feeling of "all that for this".

What disappointed me the most was that we were expecting to have know more about The Mist (yes, they began in the previous book, but I wanted to know more, to have explanations...) and the Blue Queen storyline from the previous book (for which we have no answer at all). In terms of world-building, this series wasn't the best, but I always loved every novel despite its flaws because there were other things to make up for it and because I expected the author to give us answers and explanations in the last book, which isn't the case at all. It's really disappointing, because many people gave up on this series because of its flaws, and when you still faithfully stay an enthusiastic fan of the books, you don't want to be let down in the end. The previous book was my favorite (I know it's not a popular opinion among every fan of the series) because it really showed how much potential this series had. The last book showed that said potential would go to waste.

Now, the rest is BIG spoilers, so don't click if you haven't read Five Dark Fates.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five ​Dark Fates.

September 12, 2018 – Shelved
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-fantasy
September 8, 2019 – Started Reading
September 10, 2019 – Shelved as: 2-stars
September 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Katie Roman Jules is one. And the kingdom is the other...maybe. I'm pretty confident about Jules as four, but not who or what is five.

Catherine Katie wrote: "Jules is one. And the kingdom is the other...maybe. I'm pretty confident about Jules as four, but not who or what is five."

I think Jules is one of them too, but I'm not sure about the last one either. I'm really looking forward to it!

Alexandra Elend Wolf Maybe Jules and Billy? I mean, I'm pretty sure Jules is the other one, so, maybe the other one is Billy? Oh! Or maybe Daphne's sister! - I don't remember her name right now- but yeah, the blue queen.

Katie Roman I still think the island. Its protection is based on the queens' magic.
But that blue queen may be it as well.
I hope it's the bear...

Catherine It seems everyone agree on Jules, but the last one is gonna make us think until the release... I like your suggestions, I'm sure whatever Kendare Blake came up with we won't be disappointed!

Jules Queen 4 is Jules and queen five is the Blue Queen.

message 7: by Sapphire (new)

Sapphire Violet OMG EMILIA AND MATHILDE COULD BE THE LAST TWO QUEENS BECAUSE YOU HAVE A NATURALIST AN ELEMENTAL A POISONER A WARRIOR AND AN ORACLE

Catherine I still think Jules is one of them, but no idea about the other. But all the theories are interesting!

Nicole I gave it a 4 but agree so so hard on the Blue Queen / Mist storyline. It ultimately ended up having virtually no effect on the present day storyline and maybe should've just been a standalone novella like the Oracle Queen. An interesting side story, where you the reader have this kind of inside knowledge about what *really* happened, but not crucial to the plot. By putting it in the last 2 books of the main series, Blake set up expectations she didn't really follow through on...which unfortunately increasingly became an issue with this last book.

Catherine Nicole wrote: "I gave it a 4 but agree so so hard on the Blue Queen / Mist storyline. It ultimately ended up having virtually no effect on the present day storyline and maybe should've just been a standalone nove..."

Exactly, my rating would have been higher if it wasn't for this. Like you said, if the author didn't plan to develop those storylines, she shouldn't have started them. I agree that a novella would have been interesting, but here it's just poor world-building. I'm glad you still liked the ending, though! :)