Anum Hashim's Reviews > In the Country We Love: My Family Divided

In the Country We Love by Diane Guerrero

U 50x66

This book is the story of Diane Guererro, famed for her roles in Orange is the New Black and Jane the Virgin. Both are shows that I thoroughly enjoy! Ok, I'll be honest part of the reason I shortlisted this book was because I liked the cover of the book. Her story was interesting to read about. She writes about her experience in America when she was younger, living in a family of undocumented immigrants. It's definitely a book on-topic with everything that Trump and friends are fighting against in the US. But more than that, it humanizing the story. I'm guilty of not reading the news because it's so heavy these days. This book humanizes what is happening to so many families. This one facet of life - immigration, belonging - can impact so many others, the job you take, where you live, who you befriend. Living in constant fear of being deported and having your family torn apart. The book was well written and I think Diane is very brave to share what happened to hear family. It's a difficult story to share, but I'm sure it's helped many feel that they are not alone. Overall, I enjoyed this book, because of the relatable "girly-girl" style of writing that underscores a very serious topic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Country We Love.

September 12, 2018 – Shelved