James's Reviews > All the Leader You Can Be: The Science of Achieving Extraordinary Executive Presence

All the Leader You Can Be by Suzanne Bates

M 50x66

I admit that I was a little apprehensive about reading this book because of some of the reviews; some reviews stated that this book seemed like a type of "advertisement" for the Bates Executive Presence Assessment.

However, I pushed forward because a Vice President at my company recommended this book as the first part of our group's mentorship program.

In short -- this book was worth the read. "Executive Presence" was something that I wasn't really familiar with. From what I did know -- and as the book stated -- it is a more abstract concept. It's something that almost everyone agrees that is "required," but no one can really describe what it is.

Executive Presence, as described by the author, is divided into three categories -- each with 5 subcategories. It was interesting to see not only what each subcategory meant, but to also see how each area could (1) be a weakness or (2) be an "overstrength." For example, lack of assertiveness is a bad thing, but if a person is *too* assertive, others in the group/team may be unable to share their thoughts/opinions.

Overall, this will be a book that I will have to re-read as I continue my mentorship program and my "push" to become an executive. I was encouraged to explore my company's intranet to see what mentorship and leadership training was available. I will also save up to take the Bates Executive Presence Assessment someday. I will be a decent cost -- a few thousand dollars -- but the more I move up in my company, the more I will need to learn. (And the more I will need to grow.)

In short, keep an open mind and just read the book. At the very least, it will encourage you to learn more about Executive Presence and -- even more importantly -- give you ideas as to how to be a more effective leader and team member.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Leader You Can Be.

September 12, 2018 – Shelved