Texas's Reviews > A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities

A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities by Barbara Venkataraman

A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities - I had so much fun reading these tidbits. This is not my first and hopefully not last book by this author. Ms. V writes well, has well thought out storylines and is entertaining with her humor and common sense approaches. The complete book didn't take long to read and it's perfectly suited for coffee breaks and a few minutes getaway time. Actually all her books are perfect for relaxation and entertainment. 4*

Jamie Quinn Mystery Collection: Box Set Books 1 - 3: I enjoyed these books by an author new to me. I had been collecting her books over the years and finally decided to read them. Entertaining and funny and good suspense are a few descriptors to pop into my head. The main characters are a perfect fit: two female lawyers (they're likable); one Cajun PI; and a couple of love interests. With each story, most of these characters grew more likable and complex. The other main characters are added as the stories go along. Grace and Duke are the perfect characters to make this series full of interest and humor.

There are many stories being followed along with the main plot. A continuous series that doesn't have any cliffhangers; just moves along a time line. The story lines hold the reader's interest and there's humor throughout the books. There's no crazy situations, like that lovable Plum character, but realistic happenings. There's no silly/stupid dialog or formulas, just plain entertainment. The writer's style is laid back, almost as if you're on the porch gossipin while sippin yur iced tea. Well written and quickly read, but still substantial enough to make reading these books worthwhile. Needs a little editing, but nothing that distracts from reading. 4*

Death by Didgeridoo #1 - This is my first read by this author and I like it. A good introduction to a few main characters of the series. Well written and easily read, fast paced and interesting; it was easy to sit down and finish quickly. All of the characters are likable, realistic and entertaining; think of Moonlighting for the humor and a male character. 4*

The Case of the Killer Divorce #2 - This story picks up about six months after where Didgeridoo finished. Well written with plenty of suspense, the reader can't help but enjoy the story. The humor is good and the characters keep developing. 4*

Peril in the Park #3 - This story picks up about six months later from the ending of Killer Divorce. Boy, there's a neat twist to one of on going the background stories! There's also a fun surprise involving someone's dad that makes the future books a must read; we know the ending to that story, but it's the path taken that interesting. Plenty of humor and everyone has more added to their characters/stories. 4*

Engaged in Danger #4 - Another good addition to the Jamie Quinn series. Well written, funny and intriguing, this suspense filled book with its well thought out, multiple and continuous story lines keeps the reader glued to the pages. There's a few kinks that the well developed, realistic characters handle, while their dialog is believable. The writing style is casual but entertaining. If you like Evanovich or Elmore, you'll enjoy Ms. Venkataraman. 4*

Jeopardy in July #5 - The Jamie Quinn series is addicting. Sadly, I've reached the last book available at present, but I thoroughly enjoyed all five books. Again, this is a well written and intriguing story, with humor and multiple on going story lines. The main characters remain interesting with realistic dialog and behavior. You don't realize it by the relaxed writing style, but Jeopardy is fast paced and intriguing with good suspense.

Reading these books in order keeps the fabric of the stories intact and understandable. The author does a good job in highlighting past events without doing a Gabaldon-style rewrite, so you can still understand what's going on without having read the previous stories, but you miss so much. 4*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities.

September 11, 2018 – Started Reading