Jaksen's Reviews > Sun Storm

Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson

liked it

An interesting, if somewhat disjointed story. I had a hard time putting all the pieces together, and I'm a great fan of mysteries/thrillers written by Scandinavian writers. This one was set in Sweden.

Rebecka Martinsson is a tax lawyer who gets caught up in the defense of a young woman accused of her brother's murder. Said brother was one of those flamboyant, religious celebrities who act as 'lighthouses' for their newly created/discovered religion, one which purports to being the only 'true' religion, or church, the one which will change the world. Okay, right.

And he's found dead, slaughtered and mutilated, in this religion's new church. He's not a minister, pastor, whatever, but he has been used to lure in the young and lost and always-seeking, fretful types who populate religions like this one. (Or in books like this one.) It's a cult, in other words, and Rebecka was once one of its most sterling members.

The story's convoluted, with so many characters I DID make a cue card. There's another major player, a pregnant investigator, but her part is relatively minor compared to Rebecka's. Anyhow, there are various twists and turns, evidence hiding in plain sight, witnesses who lie and fabricate, etc. etc.

I enjoyed the book, however, and did like Rebecka with her complex and unique back story. Ms. Larsson hasn't written many in this series, but I shall continue on with it - at least with those which have been translated from the Swedish. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun Storm.

September 12, 2018 – Started Reading