Stefanie Rls's Reviews > Dark Paradise

Dark Paradise by Gene Desrochers

‘Dark Paradise’ is the first book written by Gene Desrochers and the first installment in the Boise series (Well, I guess it will be a series!).
This means I’ve nothing to really compare it to and because of that I find this kind of books always a bit hard to review.
After all I don’t want to be harsh to a beginning writer, but I also want to be honest. So here it goes!
First of all I’m going to say I really enjoyed the way Gene Desrochers described the setting. We got a good glimpse of life on the island St Thomas and of all the different cultures which made this feel so authentic. I definitely learned more about the Caribbean during the whole book so well done! It gave me a reason to connect with the story and I really needed that I’m afraid since I still don’t know what to think about the rest of this book.
The synopsis tells about a murder and solving that, but the problem is there isn’t really a murder. I mean the guy is already dead and Boise just starts to investigate, because he needs to? wants to? … I’m not sure.
And then there’s Dana. I don’t get her either I’m afraid. She’s going to help Boise, but she just drags him into another investigation. Roger Black becomes like a footnote until halfway through the book. I thought he would be the main topic and everything around it just things that happened to get to solving the mystery around his demise.
These things however just get all the attention and yes, everything connects kind of, but it’s just … weird to me, for lack of something better to say. It doesn’t really connect with the synopsis for me and that is what got me reading in the first place.
I thought there was also too much inexplicable running around and holes in the plot. Things didn’t always click like they should have and it dragged on in places. Therefore it felt (a bit) all over the place. Luckily something kept my interest throughout the story and I did finish it. I’m not sure however if I can recommend it or not to anyone.
The only thing I can say to conclude is: read for yourself and hopefully you will find it a great read. I’m still wondering though … . Sorry, Gene Desrochers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Paradise.

September 11, 2018 – Started Reading