Christine's Reviews > A History of the World in 100 Objects

A History of the World in 100 Objects by Neil MacGregor

bookshelves: npr-pbs-bbc, museums, history-general

I was going to give this to my brother for Christmas, and then I opened it before wrapping it.

Tough luck bro. But hey, you enjoyed Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942.

This book is absolutely awesome!

Originally done as a radio program, this book looks at the history of the world though 100 objects that are found in the British Museum. A few of the objects are obvious, the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles (strange, how Greece is quiet about those lately?), but most are not so famous and a few are not even on display on a regular basis.

Each item gets a chapter that runs 4-5 pages. MacGregor conencts the item to the world at large as well as gives a brief history of the item. In some cases, he even ties it to the modern world. Some, such as the Sudan items, are especially relvenet today with the independence of South Sudan. Additionally, it is difficult to look at the print of the Wave without thinking of not only WW II but the tsunami of 2011. In some cases, such as some of the stoneware fragments, the discovery matches the purpose of the item.

This book is amazing, and not be threatened by its size. It is extremely readable. The pages fly by.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of the World in 100 Objects.

December 29, 2011 – Started Reading
December 29, 2011 – Shelved
January 1, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 28, 2016 – Shelved as: npr-pbs-bbc
October 28, 2016 – Shelved as: museums
December 28, 2018 – Shelved as: history-general

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Bettie

I loved the choices made to reflect periods in time - really cool book.

Christine It is so good. Man, I wish the radio program was played here.

P-eggy I love big, thick essay-type books (just finished Arguably, best book of 2011) so I think I will read this.

Allie Riley The radio series was excellent - I loved it. The BBC put photos on their website so you could see what the objects in question loooked like after each episode. In all probability they've done a CD - I imagine you'd be able to get hold of it. And the book is indeed wonderful. :)

Christine I found podcasts!

Cecily The radio programme was such a bizarre idea for such a visual subject - and yet MacGregor made it work brilliantly. As for the size of the book, I find it's better for dipping into, lest one get indigestion.