Carolyn's Reviews > The Sentence is Death

The Sentence is Death by Anthony Horowitz

19559507

bookshelves: netgalley-2019, netgalley, crime, 2019, murder-mystery

In the first book in this series, The Word Is Murder, Horowitz took the unusual step of placing himself in the book as the narrator, melding his real life with this fictional life as a writer engaged to write about PI Daniel Hawthorne's cases. This made for delightful and amusing reading as Horowitz stumbles through the case in the wake of Hawthorne's somewhat more astute detective work. I wasn't sure how well this would work in a second episode but am happy to report that if anything it worked even better the second time around.

The case this time involves a high profile divorce lawyer, Richard Pryce, a teetotaler bashed with an expensive bottle of wine and then stabbed to death with broken glass from the bottle. On the wall above the body the killer painted the number 182 in green paint. At the time Pryce had been involved in a major case involving a celebrity writer, Akira Anno, who immediately becomes their main suspect, as she was recently witnessed pouring a glass of wine over Pryce's head in a popular restaurant and then threatening to hit him with the bottle. Or could that just be what the police are meant to think? Baffled they call in ex-detective, PI Hawthorne and his biographical sidekick Horowitz to investigate.

Hawthorne is filling out more as a character in this second outing. Horowitz is still trying to fathom him out and find out more about his secretive past and current life but Hawthorne remains antisocial and unforthcoming. His investigative style reminds me a little of the 1970s TV detective Columbo - a bumbling, grumpy sort of character, giving little away but thinking deeply and two steps ahead of everyone else, particularly Horowitz who frequently upsets Hawthorne by putting his foot in at the wrong time in Hawthorne's interviews. As before Horowitz weaves into the story his real life activities, writing episodes for 'Foyle's War' with Hawthorne blustering onto the set with little regard for the film crew. Horowitz also loves to poke fun at himself, depicting himself as hopeless at detective work. What results is a clever, gentle murder mystery reminiscent of the golden age of crime writing. As Horowitz has been contracted (fictionally) to write three books covering Hawthorne's cases, I look forward with eager anticipation to the next episode. 4.5★

With thanks to Netgalley and Random House for a digital ARC to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sentence is Death.

September 11, 2018 – Shelved
January 28, 2019 – Started Reading
January 28, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
January 28, 2019 – Shelved as: murder-mystery
January 30, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Nice review. Thanks for the tip Carolyn. I 'wished for' the book. 😊🌹🌿

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura I suppose all great detectives need a side-kick, as it's probably the best way to give a detailed 2 view perspective. One of which is the slower, less able representing the readers perspective - which allows the reader to appreciate the genius of the great-mind. The great-mind never bothers to explain how or what he is thinking.

message 3: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Os Enjoyable review Carolyn.

Carolyn Laura wrote: "I suppose all great detectives need a side-kick, as it's probably the best way to give a detailed 2 view perspective. One of which is the slower, less able representing the readers perspective - wh..."

You could say that Horowitz is playing the Watson to Hawthorne's Holmes by writing of his exploits and not seeing the clues the brilliant detective sees.

Carolyn Barbara wrote: "Nice review. Thanks for the tip Carolyn. I 'wished for' the book. 😊🌹🌿"

Hope you get it Barbara :)

Carolyn Dianne wrote: "Enjoyable review Carolyn."

Thanks Dianne :)

Phrynne Great review Carolyn! I enjoyed this one too.

message 8: by Bianca (new) - added it

Bianca Excellent review, Carolyn. I'm very keen to read this as well. So many books ...

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Carolyn wrote: "Laura wrote: "I suppose all great detectives need a side-kick, as it's probably the best way to give a detailed 2 view perspective. One of which is the slower, less able representing the readers pe..."

Holmes and Watson - exactly.

message 10: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Nice review, Carolyn.