jessica's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

bookshelves: favourites

a review of three parts

it was night again. the keys of a laptop lay in wait to create a review, and it was a review of three parts.

the most obvious part was a full, echoing story, made by the letters that were written on a page. if the words came to life it would have done so in the form of a young man name kvothe, eager to know the answers to lifes greatest questions, thirsty for any knowledge he could get his hands on. if the story was written in music, it would have been composed to the sweet melody of a lute, strings plucked by gentle, but sure, fingers. if the book had the power to transport, you would find yourself in a world of magic, university lessons, travelling troupes, and dragons. in fact, the book contained all of these, and so the review grew.

on goodreads, hundreds of people shared their own opinions. they posted with quiet determination, avoiding serious spoilers of troubling plots. in doing this they added a small, quiet part to the larger, fuller one. it made an alloy of sorts, a counterpoint.

the third part was not an easy thing to notice. if you waited for an hour, you might begin to feel it the smoothness of the cover beneath your hands and the rough, crisp turn of each page. it was the weight of knowing that the person you were before reading this book became someone new and improved at the end of it. it was the slow back and forth of trying to remember any semblance of life you had before this story became intwined into the very fabric of your being. and it was in the hands of the girl who sat on her bed, tapping away at the black keys under her fingers that gleamed in the soft glow of the laptop screen.

the girl had true brown hair, brown as a mouse. her eyes were alight and focused, and she typed with the subtle certainty that comes from reviewing many books.

the laptop was hers, just as the third part was hers. this was appropriate, as it was the greatest part of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. it was deep and wide as autumns ending. it was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. it was the patient, cut-flower sound of a girl in love with a story.

5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes jessica Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

September 10, 2018 – Shelved
September 10, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
October 21, 2018 – Finished Reading
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Cassie (new) - added it

Cassie this review is so clever! i absolutely love it!!! :)

aldi Muy ingenioso!

message 3: by rachael ♡ (new) - added it

rachael ♡ this is so gorgeous, jessica

jessica cassie - awwww. thank you!! i hope rothfuss doesnt mind i ripped off his prologue/epilogue. hehe.

rhys - muchas gracias!! :)

rachael - thank you, thank you!! that is so sweet of you!! <3

message 5: by el (new) - rated it 5 stars

el aaahhh this review is perfect!! I’m reading this rn and you really captured the feel of it I love it

jessica awww. thanks, el! i just reworded the prologue/epilogue because there was no way i could come up with words of my own to describe how much i enjoyed this. i hope youre loving it, as well!

Renee Godding Loved this book, love this review! I don’t think Pat would mind you paying such a beautiful hommage to his prologue/epilogue!

jessica thank you so much for saying that, renee! i really appreciate it. and im sooo happy you loved this book as much as i did! <3

message 9: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea I love this review so much, it’s super creative and I’m surprised no one’s thought of it before. Also love it when people enjoy my favourite book! <3

jessica thank you, leore!! thats so kind of you to say! i cant wait to start 'a wise mans fear.' :)

message 11: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Langford Such a brilliant review Jessica !!

jessica thank you so much, lucy!! <3

Yaara Such a cool review. I want to read this book again....

jessica thank you! and a friend told me that at least two reads are recommended to fully grasp everything in this story, so i definitely support your decision to re-read! :P

Adina Excellent review although I would have waited until the last one was released. i read this a long time ago and forgot everything. I guess I will have to re-read it.

jessica yes!! a re-read is always a good idea!! :)

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Nadeau ahaha i lol'd at your review :) you're funny

jessica thanks, leah!

Marie-Michèle Paquin I have to read this soon. Can’t believe I still have it on my TBR after all these years. I remember my high school english teacher raving about it!

jessica its so wonderful!! im currently reading the second book in the series and i have no idea what im going to do with my life once i finish it, its just such a good story. please read it! :)

Kat | Rustic Pages I love this sooo much! So reminiscent of his writing.

jessica awww. thank you!!! <3

thewordlover I’m awed by this amazing review. Brings back so many memories! I have to re-read this one right away.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ This review is brilliant! <3 So amazing and so perfect for the book! XD

Graham Brilliant review. I can re-read this over and over and it's always such a beautiful read.

message 26: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul One of the best reviews I've ever read!

message 27: by Vaneeza (new) - added it

Vaneeza Oh my... This review is so good! Just wow!! I'm in love . you're not a reviewer, you're an artist. I'm reading this over and over again xD

message 28: by Jelena (new) - added it

Jelena Milenković The girl knows her work, obviously! Possibly your best review so far, Jess!

Catherine That's beautiful, Jessica. I absolutely love this book.

message 30: by Georgina (new) - added it

Georgina Bennett ... How is it possible to love a review so much? I pretty much have no idea what this book is even about, yet now I must read it. Your writing is captivating.

message 31: by Evi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evi Stunning review! Love this book so much.

jessica wordlover - yes! i highly suggest a reread! i read somewhere that it takes an average of three reads in order to fully digest everything this book/series contains.

virginia - thank you so much! the story is definitely inspiring content!

graham - i completely agree. its one of my favourite books of all time. so happy to hear you love it just as much! :)

paul - that is high praise! i am blown away. thank you so much for the compliment!!

vaneeza - awww. you are too kind! thank you so much for the generous compliment! <3

jelena - you are honestly too sweet. thank you!!

catherina - thank you so much!! really happy to hear that you loved this, too! :)

georgina - my review is based on/inspired by the prologue and epilogue of the story, so i cant take full credit for it. but i highly recommend reading this. the writing is absolutely stunning!

evi - yay!! so happy you loved this! <3

Juan   Andrade Schoppe i love this book, the history is awesome and very funny.

message 34: by Zoe (new) - added it

Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid Very creative and fabulous review ^^

jessica thank you so much!! :D