Zuleeza's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4883387
's review
Dec 29, 2011

it was amazing
bookshelves: favourite
Read from April 04 to 07, 2012

This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

I am someone who prefer to write a review straight away after I finished the book.

Instead, I went to bookdepository.com and ordered The Iron Fey Boxed Set.

Isn't the packaging adorable? *puppy eyes*

I tend to avoid any series which consist of more than three books. Most of the time, I heard that the overall plot could be easily condensed into fewer books and the authors were just keen to have more money out of you. I was also skeptical with books based on fey myth because I thought they were like the bubbliest, shiniest, radiating-with-good-energy creatures out there, and I thought nah...probably for kids but not for me.

This book proved that I should never generalize.

If you've read it, you'll notice that this book was born from years of imagination. Not something that an author tried to come up with when realizing the burst of Young Adult market in the past few years.

The choice of words and the fluidity of the plot was impeccable. It reminded me of The Lords of the Rings, Narnia, Alice in Wonderland but unique enough to stand in its own league. I didn't like Meghan as much as I wanted to but I guess, there are more pages reserved for Meghan to be the ass-kicking heroine whom I longed for in later books.

Fear not, the romance was not done excessively in this particular book (thank God!). Ash was the classic Mr Darcy, so I instinctively drawn to be in his team. But Puck was a strong male lead as well, unfortunately I think he'll be staying in the friend-zone for the rest of the series.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.
Sign In »

Quotes Zuleeza Liked

Julie Kagawa
“I licked my lips and whispered, "Is this where you say you'll kill me?"
One corner of his lips curled. "If you like," he murmured, a flicker of amusement finally crossing his face. "Though it's gotten far too interesting for that.”
Julie Kagawa, The Iron King


Reading Progress

04/04/2012 "Seems like everyone is reading The Immortal Rules :/ Nevermind, I'm content with Julie Kagawa's debut novel."

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Rebecca ♥ Ash, Kishan, Warner ♥ I didnt realize this was coming out. I just looked up the boxset on Chapters website. $30. Thats a good price. Too bad I already have all the books.


Zuleeza Rebecca ♥ Ash, Jem, Kishan ♥ wrote: "I didnt realize this was coming out. I just looked up the boxset on Chapters website. $30. Thats a good price. Too bad I already have all the books."

Too bad? No girl, what's too bad is I just discovered the awesomeness of this book years after it was released :( Story of my life...


Rebecca ♥ Ash, Kishan, Warner ♥ Oh, did you just read it? Haha, I read the first 3 last spring, the only one that wasnt out when I discovered the series was The Iron Knight.


Lindsay I agree with you with the number of books in a series but this one was pretty amazing. Julie Kagawa is just an amazing writer and I did the same thing you did with this series?


Zuleeza Lindsay wrote: "I agree with you with the number of books in a series but this one was pretty amazing. Julie Kagawa is just an amazing writer and I did the same thing you did with this series?"

It was amazing indeed! As I vowed to request less ARCs this year, I hope I will have time to read the subsequent books in the series! :D


Lindsay Oh I'm doing the same. In fact I made a deal with myself not to buy any books this year. They're either coming from the library or my book pile...its hard lol. Have you read any of Julie's other books?


Zuleeza Lindsay wrote: "Oh I'm doing the same. In fact I made a deal with myself not to buy any books this year. They're either coming from the library or my book pile...its hard lol. Have you read any of Julie's other bo..."

Haha! It is hard! I have a tendency to detour to bookstores whenever I see one LOL!

I haven't read any of Julie's other books, unfortunately. Have you read The Immortal Rules?


Lindsay No but there's a copy waiting at the library for me! Lol, there are also some of her short novellas which are short and sweet but likable. And yes its really hard, I do the same thing, but I've made it my new years resolution.


Sandra I haven't read the novellas and The Iron Knight is still in my TBR, but seriously guys, if you liked Iron Fey (I also thought that feys were luminous creatures for children but not for me) then you should try The Immortal Rules.


Zuleeza Lindsay wrote: "No but there's a copy waiting at the library for me! Lol, there are also some of her short novellas which are short and sweet but likable. And yes its really hard, I do the same thing, but I've mad..."

Good for you! I have actually read Winter's Passage but as this is a part of the series, I thought that doesn't count LOL!


Zuleeza Sandra wrote: "I haven't read the novellas and The Iron Knight is still in my TBR, but seriously guys, if you liked Iron Fey (I also thought that feys were luminous creatures for children but not for me) then you..."

I had The Immortal Rules from the library once but I didn't get around to read it (because I went for a holiday) and had to return it. Hmm...now that you directly recommend TIR to me, I shall oblige. :)


Sandra YAY! I'm happy with that! I felt alone with this because nobody in my circle has read it yet.


Lindsay Yes read Immortal Rules so we can all rave about it!


back to top