Janelle's Reviews > Gnomes

Gnomes by Rien Poortvliet

bookshelves: books-i-own-read, fantasy, non-fiction, read-as-a-child, 4-stars, read-more-than-once
Recommended for: Anyone who loves gnomes
Read 12 times. Last read November 20, 2013 to November 21, 2013.

It has become apparent that I have well and truly lost my sense of magic. When I was a teenager I was entranced by Gnomes. My school library stocked it as a reference item, and many a lunchtime was spent poring over it. Eventually I left school and Gnomes behind, but for many years wished I could find another copy and revisit the world of Gnomes. Imagine my excitement then when I discovered a second hand copy at a local bookstore. I eagerly handed over my $3, rushed it home, and discovered… the magic had vanished.
No longer was I enchanted by the cute escapades and illustrations of these tiny people. Instead I found myself questioning the sexism of the male gnomes being fully responsible for all the labour, and the confinement of females almost exclusively to the home. I was horrified that daddy gnomes left nearly all of the parenting of daughters to the mother, and wondered if gnomes really were as sickeningly perfect as the book portrayed.
I suppose growing up is one of the sad inevitabilities of life. But for those who are still young, and those successfully fighting the habit of growing up, enjoy Gnomes while you still can. Reading it truly is a delightful experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gnomes.

December 29, 2011 – Shelved