Danielle's Reviews > The Lighthouse Santa

The Lighthouse Santa by Sara Hoagland Hunter

Dec 28, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own, childrens, for-review, historical-fiction, littlebug, turkeybird
Read in December, 2011

It’s Christmas time again and Kate wants a very special gift this year. When a terrible storm threatens to take away the possibility of even a fly-by from jolly St. Nick her wishes may not come true, but Kate doesn’t give up hope. In the true spirit of Christmas what begins as a tale about gifts and wanting turns into a heartwarming story about helping others. The Lighthouse Santa brings hope to those who shine the way for those lost at sea.

In a season where gift giving is at an all time high sharing the true meaning of Christmas can often be more challenging than fighting crowds of shoppers, or in this case…a blizzard. I’d never heard the story of the Lighthouse Santa before reading this delightful picture book and it certainly brings a different feeling to the image of Santa. It’s easy to pass off Santa as someone who isn’t real, especially when you consider he normally follows a sleigh of flying reindeer. In this case, being that it’s based on a true story, it’s easier to relate a feeling of service to the image of Santa which I believe was the initial intention behind the story of Santa. The Lighthouse Santa brings gifts to the lighthouse families that light the way for so many sailors out at sea and often risks his own peril to bring others joy. It’s a wonderful message of service and giving that young children will appreciate more and more the older they get.

As for the actual story within the pages of The Lighthouse Santa I’d have to say I enjoyed it a great deal. Obviously the message was wonderful and many of the illustrations are quite delightful. If I had any problems with the book it would be that I believe the intended audience may be a little young to appreciate all of the text within it’s pages. At times both of my children would get up and wander away because the text ran a bit longer than most picture books we read. That’s not to say it’s written poorly, because it’s not, it just may need a bit of modification for younger readers or simply an older audience. Otherwise, this is a fantastic book during this holiday season and one we’ll continue bring out year after year.

Share the true spirit of Christmas with young readers as you turn the pages of The Lighthouse Santa by Sara Hoagland Hunter. Filled with delightful illustrations and characters that children will easily relate to, this is a story that takes the attention off the monetary aspects of the season and focuses on service & giving. Based on the true story of Edward Rowe Snow, parents and educators will also be happy to share a bit of a history lesson with young Christmas fans. The Lighthouse Santa is a wonderful picture book that helps to refocus readers on the true meaning of the season, bringing a sense hope and happiness to readers everywhere.

Originally reviewed and copyrighted at my site, There's A Book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lighthouse Santa.