Lane's Reviews > The Indian Bride

The Indian Bride by Karin Fossum

Dec 28, 2011

bookshelves: foreign-setting, mystery, scandinavian
Read in January, 2012

Karin Fossum's mysteries are so much more than that. She creates memorable characters who come to life within your mind. Some you come to care about and others you dislike intensely, but with all of whom you can empathize...their humanity is so painfully evident. I am always left with the sense of having been transported to a different place, of having been a "fly on the wall" in the lives of these people.

The Indian Bride was wonderful. At first, I had my doubts. Here's Gunder, "shopping for a wife" in his People of All Nations book and I thought, "Oh, brother, this is going to be a dud." Was I ever wrong.

Gunder takes shape as a very simple, yet complex, person before my eyes. As I turn the pages, I get to know him more and more...his story, his place in his village, his relationship with his sister, and his dead wife. I was really rooting for him. I very much wanted him to be happy.

But it was not to be. The tragedy occurred early in the book, of course, and the obvious mystery was who killed Poona. But Fossum wove lots of mysteries and stories throughout this defining theme. Linda seems pathetic and almost comical until she turns frightening. The misanthrope, Einar, who ironically owns the main social hub, the cafe; his questionable marriage, his lies to the police. Goran, with so much to prove. Gunwald, who lives by the meadow and walks his old dog and runs his dumpy little market. EVeryone in the village had a perspective, a bias, a part to play in this incredible drama.

And of course, there was Inspector Sejer and Skarre. We got to know a lot more about these, our heroes, that adds to the intimacy of the reader's relationship. I love being allowed inside their minds and their lives.

The ending of the book was very satisfying. It was logical and reasonable and well developed and tied up not only the primary mystery, but most of the other small mysteries as well. Altogether a very good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Indian Bride.

02/17/2016 marked as: read