A.E. 's Reviews > Snowbound

Snowbound by Maria  Alexander

I’m one of the eager readers who have patiently been waiting for the sequel to Snowed by Maria Alexander to come out, and lo and behold, it has! This book, Snowbound, continues the adventures of Charity and Aidan. To say Charity ended things on a tumultuous note would be an understatement. Things are even more suspenseful this time around.

One of the things I enjoyed was the alternating points of view, which I felt worked effectively in this book. There was also a great sense of immediacy to the prose. From a characterization point of view, Charity’s evil brother, Charles, had his role to play in this sequel, more sinister than last time, and I feel like that effectively ratcheted the conflict up. Aidan’s despair and desperation also came across emphatically, and it wasn’t difficult to sympathize with what he was going through.

Another thing I enjoyed was that the mythology was even richer in this book, incorporating legends from both the Inuktitut people and also from Viking mythology. Overall, the stakes were very well defined and I felt the author sustained suspense throughout the novel brilliantly. As well, I enjoyed several aspects of the magic system.

All the things I wanted to see more of from the first book, like Aidan’s home world, are even more expanded here and it’s wonderful. As the novel goes on, it gets better and more interesting. As well, I liked how the author made good use of poetry, which also tied into the plot cleverly. This tome ends on a cliffhanger, which was a good sign in some ways because hopefully it means that Charity and Aidan’s adventures will continue. I highly recommend this YA horror novel, which is a great sequel to the award-winning first book and a wonderful new offering from one of my favourite authors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowbound.

Finished Reading