Mandy's Reviews > Some Kind of Happiness

Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand

liked it
bookshelves: middle-g, contemp, the-bookshelf-of-actual-bookshelves

I was so torn about this rating for a while. I kept waffling back and forth between three and four crowns, but I finally settled on a 3 crown rating. I believe this book had a lot of great things going for it, and I thought the mental health rep was amazing, but there was just something about it that had me super disconnected from this read - especially in the latter half.

Things Done Really Well:

Mental health rep (Finley is dealing with anxiety and depression) that was amazingly done and so realistic (almost too much at times that it really really hit close to home). It is so important for kids this age to see themselves in novels, and I think I might have liked seeing as a kid someone that was suffering with some of the same fears and stress I was having regarding anxiety.

Finley is also dealing with a lot of change in her life (between the potential divorce of her parents and meeting her dad's side of the family for the first time ever) and it was realistically done so well

The family aspect was really interesting. I did love seeing all of the different dynamics that were pulled out. I didn't like certain family members, but I loved loved loved reading Finley interact with the younger set of kids.

Things I Was So-So On:

Like, this story was really dark? I mean, like really dark?? For a middle grade, I was shocked at just how dark it was. Like, I'm not sure I would have liked it per say if I was back at middle grade age because it dealt with so many dark topics. And some stuff seemed way too mature?? The whole thing with the fire had me going :O?? I traumatized myself at 11 playing the Sims and having a Sim die in a fire, and I couldn't sleep for like a month so I was a little apprehensive for this.

It really dragged in the middle. I thought the first part was great, and then it kind of just meandered around for a bit. It's like a 400 page middle grade contemporary if that gives you any indication on how much meandering was happening.

I never really felt a super super strong connection to it. I mean, there were a few times that I got strong emotions for it and forgot that I wasn't a book crier, but I mostly felt detached from it especially by the end?

Overall, it wasn't a bad read, but it just didn't bring me what I needed from it. 3 crowns and a Belle rating!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Kind of Happiness.

September 8, 2018 – Shelved