James's Reviews > Died in the Wool

Died in the Wool by Melinda Mullet

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-cozy-mystery, 3-multi-book-series, 9-read-2019-06-june, 7-netgalley

Died in the Wool is the fourth book in the Whisky Business Mystery series by Melinda Mullet. I began reading the series about two years ago when I saw it was set at a whisky distillery in Scotland, but I continued to read it because the characters and plots are wonderful. In this caper, Abi gets involved in volunteering on the board for a home run by a not-for-profit organization that protects battered women. She's trying to decide what to do about her feelings for the Scotsman, Grant MacEwan, including how to run the distillery if he's no longer involved, based on an injury in the last book. And then there are those pesky sheep she rescues; it's time for sheering but she's lost on the process. Let's not forget Patrick, the best friend I'd like to meet one day, and his new relationship woes. Throw in a murder, organic farming trends, and drugs... you've got a well-rounded mystery with dynamic characters.

Mullet's books are always easy to read and quite enjoyable. I look forward to them more than most other series because of how rich the setting and characters are. The author balances the perfect amount of details with subtle hints about the person's appearance, just enough to picture it but also throw in your own ideas. I feel like I'm on the hills or at the distillery, and I like how Abi has no family around her -- it makes her rely on friends even more. I wonder what it'd be like in that situation... I might drink too much of the whisky, I suppose. That's the other great thing about this series: you learn a lot and have an opportunity to understand something you might not normally be privy to without traveling somewhere.

If you enjoy a setting that's not in a small town in America (love them too, but this is a good alternative), with culture and a different appeal, this would be a great one to sample. You can read them out of order, as they are standalone mysteries, but it's always better to read from the beginning. While Abi's personal life is certainly a focus, this one is mostly about the major mystery at the shelter where a young woman dies from an apparent drug overdose. Abi investigates and finds her fellow board members aren't all on the up-and-up. There are also a few other suspects who have a piece in this puzzle, as well as a new detective from a different town that makes Abi's sleuthing complicated. All in all, a fun and delightful read. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves a little extra in their cozy mysteries and enjoys an international story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Died in the Wool.

September 8, 2018 – Shelved