Victor Gentile's Reviews > The Sacred Acre: The Ed Thomas Story

The Sacred Acre by Mark Tabb

Dec 28, 2011

Read in December, 2011

Mark Tabb in his new book, “The Sacred Acre” published by Zondervan gives us The Ed Thomas Story.

From the inside jacket flap: On a Sunday in May 2008, an F-5 tornado struck the town of Parkersburg, Iowa, killing eight people and destroying 250 homes and businesses within 34 seconds.

The next day, Parkersburg’s beloved football coach, Ed Thomas, made a stunning prediction: ‘God willing, we will play our first home game here on this field this season.’

One hundred days later, the home team scored a victory on the field they dubbed ‘The Sacred Acre,’ serving as a galvanizing point for the town to band together and rebuild. But just as Parkersburg was recovering, another devastating tragedy struck. While working with a group of football and volleyball players early one morning, one of Ed’s former students walked in and gunned him down point blank. Ed Thomas was 58. The murder of this hometown hero spread across national news headlines. Ed’s community and family reeled from shock. Yet the story doesn’t end here. What happened next proves that even a double tragedy is no match for faith, love … and the power of forgiveness.

The old saying is when you get lemons make lemonade. Easy to say hard to put into practice. “The Sacred Acre” is a true story that will inspire. Bad things happen: a tornado hits and almost destroys the town; that is really sour lemons. However Coach Thomas knew how to make really good lemonade and he helps rally the town together. In this book there are good moments and there are bad moments but it is how these moments are dealt with that make this book, not only a great read, but also one that should be shared with others. We all need to know we are not alone in our suffering but we can, by looking at the life of Coach Thomas, learn how to, with God’s help, turn our disasters into victory. I recommend this book highly and feel that everyone should read it.

If you would like to listen to interviews with other authors and professionals please go to www.kingdomhighlights.org where they are available On Demand.

To listen to 24 hours non-stop, commercial free Christian music please visit our internet radio station www.kingdomairwaves.org

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Zondervan and TheDeMossGroup. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sacred Acre.