Rob's Reviews > Griswoldville

Griswoldville by Jordan M. Poss

bookshelves: history, southern-lit, young-adult-youth

I love the Civil War era. As a native South Carolinian, I understand the southern perspective of life that is so often misconstrued in modern literature. This novel, however, captured so well the rural south that I grew up knowing, with all its joys and all its faults. I found this to be an extremely readable novel while also staying true to the time period with dialogue and vocabulary. It read like a memoir of someone who lived during the late 1800s.

Growing up as a young southern boy I often fascinated over what I would have done had I lived during the Civil War, and I was drawn to the gallantry and the heroism of soldiering, of war, and of battle. Poss does a great job of recognizing that thinking within all boys as he creates the character of Georgie Wax. It was easy for me to put myself in the shoes of Georgie with all of his thoughts and uncertainties. I love how Poss develops this character throughout the novel. I found myself revisiting my "growing up years" as I wrestled with life alongside Georgie Wax. This was a novel that resonates with the experience of every boy, no matter when you grew up.

I was also drawn in by the relationship shared between Georgie and his grandfather. This relationship is important to me because it was my relationship with my own grandfather that was the most significant of my young life. The beauty of this relationship brought tears to my eyes!

I also enjoyed the biblical theme of redemption, whether intentional or not. This is a theme that flows through every well-written story because it is the theme of Truth. This theme was woven beautifully into the narrative, and it was wonderful to watch it unfold.

I enjoyed learning something new through this story about Civil War history - a story that has been little told through the years. I love how the author took a footnote from history and turned what has been deemed an insignificant "battle" into the most significant point of one man's story.

I highly recommend this novel, and I look forward to reading more by Jordan Poss!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griswoldville.

September 7, 2018 – Shelved
September 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 27, 2018 – Started Reading
December 10, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: history
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: southern-lit
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult-youth

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jordan (new) - added it

Jordan So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for such a thoughtful review!