Melissa | Recreational Hobbyist's Reviews > In a Dark, Dark Wood

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

liked it
bookshelves: thriller

So I was prepared to be scared, like really scared based on Reese Witherspoon's review on the front of the book.

I was not scared. Not even a little bit. I honestly had forgotten the synopsis of this book when I picked it off my shelf to read. For some reason, I thought it was supposed to be more horror then thriller, but I guess that's because I got it in a monthly horror book subscription box.

It is not horror. It is definitely a mystery/thriller. And it was definitely entertaining and a quick read. I did find myself staying up reading it past my bedtime, but it didn't earn a 5 star rating. Why? I thought the ending was predictable. I feel like the main reason why I read so fast was mostly to find out if my theory was right...I was. Plus, some of character's actions just didn't make sense at times. I mean, who would really go to an ex-BFF's bachelorette party that they haven't spoken to in years & wasn't even invited to the wedding? If that isn't a red flag that some shit is going to go down, I don't know what is.

It really wasn't an awful story though. It had revenge, murder & a little Single White Female stuff going on. The first chapter reeled me in & I was hooked wanting to know what was going to happen next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Dark, Dark Wood.

March 8, 2017 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
March 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
February 10, 2018 – Shelved as: thriller (Hardcover Edition)
February 10, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery (Hardcover Edition)
September 6, 2018 – Shelved
September 6, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read-next
April 16, 2019 – Started Reading
April 19, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 20, 2019 – Shelved as: thriller

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Tocyloski Great review and you saved me some time. I was thinking of adding this TBR, but the line about the bachelorette party help with my decision. This is the nice attribute about GoodReads; book reviews..... Awesome 👍