Amy Acosta's Reviews > Glitch

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Dec 28, 2011

bookshelves: dystopias, debuts-2012
Read from May 28 to 29, 2012

In a world where humans exist controlled by the Link, a program that leaves them without emotion, glitching is a serious problem. Zoe glitches, and as far as she knows she’s the only one experiencing freedom from the Link. If she doesn’t learn to control her feelings when she’s disconnected someone might report her and she’ll be reprogrammed. But that’s not her biggest problem. Zoe has telekinetic powers, and if someone discovers that she’ll be deactivated! Then Zoe meets others like her, kids with incredible powers who are glitching too. This futuristic dystopia will keep your eyes glued to the page as Zoe and her friends struggle to escape the clutches of the Community before they’re discovered and deactivated.

One of the things I love about dystopias is the use of technology, and the one used in Glitch blew me away. The most impressive were the bionic additions like a control panel on their forearms, the link port on the back of the neck, and the chip installed on their brains. The idea that humans could be infected with a paralyzing virus with a USB port is terrifying. Also the Link system used to control emotions, basically leaving the humans emotionless and indifferent. There’s no compassion, no care, nothing. I shuddered every time the humans acted like that. By contrast the characters were very much alive, interesting, and complex.

Zoe captured my attention from page one. In those precious moments she glitches, she pays special attention to color because everything else in her world is so gray. This makes for very rich descriptions and an attention to detail that creates a wonderful prose. She also gets to know emotions; protectiveness towards her brother, concern for the people, love for Adrien. Even though her memories of their time are erased she still remembers those green-blue eyes. When Max comes into the picture, Adrien is so understanding that it just made me love him all the more.

One of my biggest issues with these types of emotions themed dystopias, where emotions are suppressed or controlled for the good of human kind, and then our hero or heroine somehow begin experiencing emotions, is the naïve role they have to play. It’s necessary, of course, but it makes it very frustrating for me. I hated Max with all my heart, yet Zoe didn’t see anything wrong with what he was doing. And I couldn’t say Zoe was being stupid about it, because the fact is she has no experience dealing with that kind of stuff. So, yeah, frustrating.

The last chapters had me literally biting my nails with all the twists and double twists being thrown in. I would’ve like for Zoe to have had more experience with her power before unleashing that awesomeness at the end. It just seemed convenient that one minute she didn’t know how to control it and the next she’s easily battling everyone and anyone who got in their path. Don’t get me wrong, it was all very kick ass and exciting, but not believable.

I tell you now, even with the couple of things that irked me I devoured this ARC in 8 hours or so. I literally could NOT put it down. I had to know what happened to Zoe next, and how many other people with powers appeared, and how would they ever get out. Overall, I’m really excited with this new series and can’t wait to see what comes next!

*I received this book via Netgalley from the publisher*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glitch.

Rachel (aka Ms4Tune) I'll be looking forward to your review. I had heard from some others that this wasn't the best. Others compare it to Matched. Did you find that it was similar? I enjoyed Matched and Delirium but I don't think I want start another series with a similar storyline. Can you suggest any dystopian books that are different?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Acosta Rachel wrote: "I'll be looking forward to your review. I had heard from some others that this wasn't the best. Others compare it to Matched. Did you find that it was similar? I enjoyed Matched and Delirium but I ..."

Oh boy... Well, I read Delirium and didn't like it. Like, at all (and waits for the mobs to fall in). I loved the prose, it was beautiful, and the premise for the story was quite interesting...but the heroine was way too naive. I couldn't stand her. I also read Matched, or started to. The story just didn't catch my attention in the first few chapters and I didn't continue reading. But I'm willing to give it a second chance.

Glitch is similar in that it's a heroine experiencing emotions for the first time, but I didn't find her as naive as the others. In fact, I quite liked her. The story in general had a few things that irked me, but at the end of the day I couldn't put the book down ;)

As for Dystopias that are different, here are a few of my favorites: Divergent by Veronica Roth (very popular right now), Cinder by by Marissa Meyer (a unique re-telling of Cinderella. It is awesome), Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (lovely prose, very nice twist at the end), Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel (post-apocaliptic dystopia with zombies in a modern victorian era with lots of technology), the short story Suffocate by S.R. Johannes (I am DYING to read the sequel), and Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (less popular but still pretty cool).

Rachel (aka Ms4Tune) Thanks Amy, I know what you mean, I thought Delirium was quite predictable and the heroine was definitely naive but Lauren Oliver's writing was just so eloquent I just didn't care :) I thought the story of Matched was more believable but I found it lacked a bit in the writing especially when I had just read Delirium. Hmm I might consider Glitch for a future read but not right now.

I've been meaning to read Divergent for a while, and I LOVED Cinder. I will definitely check out the others, Dearly, Departed sounds really interesting! Thanks Again