Grace Tjan's Reviews > god is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

god is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read god is Not Great.

Bettie☯

We raised a glass ;OP

Grace Tjan Same to you, Bettie! Is it 2012 in Sweden yet?

message 3: by astried (new)

astried Your thought on this one?

message 4: by Grace (last edited Jan 08, 2012 03:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Grace Tjan astried wrote: "Your thought on this one?"

Well-written and pugilistic, as Hitchens is wont to do. In a world where so many bad things are done in the name of religion, past and present, this should be a must read. However, anyone who has studied history, especially the 20th century one, must have been aware that there are also plenty of atrocities committed by non-religious people and regimes --- Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, etc. Hitchens mentions these, but he glosses over them in a rather lame way. Surely, these people are just as guilty as the religious people who kills in the name of God?

My conclusion is that, yes, religion can make good people do horrible things, but it is not the only thing that can inspire people to persecute and kill others. And also, that religion is a human product (though the inspiration might well be divine, who can say for certain?), and therefore it reflects both the best and worst of our instincts.

Have you read it? I like Hitchens' Vanity Fair articles, but had never read any of his books before. Reading that he had just died, I picked this one.

message 5: by astried (new)

astried I've never read anything he has written. I might try reading his articles first... I was wondering if his writing would be too confrontial to my liking, intelligent discussion is fine for me but I don't really enjoy writing by people with closed mind from either end of the spectrum :)

Grace Tjan astried wrote: "I've never read anything he has written. I might try reading his articles first... I was wondering if his writing would be too confrontial to my liking, intelligent discussion is fine for me but I ..."

Well, Hitchens is opinionated, but I don't think that he's close-minded. Try his articles first --- he wrote an interesting one on Indonesia for VF.