Mike's Reviews > Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds

Legion by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: 2018-years-best, supers, netgalley

A typically over-the-top Sanderson premise: a man hallucinates, and knows that he hallucinates, other people who possess knowledge and skills that he does not have conscious access to. He's perfectly sane; but his "aspects" have all kinds of psychological problems.

The author hints pretty clearly in his introduction that this is based on his own experience as an author - that his own characters help to keep him sane, by being safe carriers of his issues, as well as being able to do things that he can't. He takes the idea in some fun, interesting, and ultimately thought-provoking directions.

I've seen Sanderson dismissed as being merely the ultimate commercial writer, following the market's demands and expectations, but he's much more than that. Not only does he have wildly original ideas and develop them in ways that nobody else would think of, but there's a degree of emotional and psychological depth to his recent work in particular that isn't found in many authors. He hand-crafts his books, he doesn't stamp them out of a mould. While the first in these three connected novellas shows the central character as a kind of superpowered detective, the following two increasingly follow his psychological struggles and internal, as well as external, challenges, and bring out philosophical questions while not neglecting action and conflict. The collection ends with a complex, but hopeful, conclusion.

I'd already read the original novella, I think in a collection, and eagerly requested this version via Netgalley when I saw it there. Thanks to the publisher for granting my request; it's one of the best books I've read this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legion.

September 6, 2018 – Shelved
September 7, 2018 – Started Reading
September 14, 2018 – Finished Reading
September 15, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-years-best
September 30, 2018 – Shelved as: supers
December 29, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett No wander I have not seen the book.

message 2: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett Oh Fall so it's out? In that case I should have seen it.