Cyndi Becker's Reviews > No Tomorrow

No Tomorrow by Carian Cole

bookshelves: 6stars

"This man is a drug and I’m an addict. I’m high on him and us, lost in the twirling world around me, every smell, sight, and touch heightened and vivid and so incredibly disconnected and hazy."

2018's Top #MustRead book! No Tomorrow is the book that moved me to tears and pulled me back in for a much needed hug. Carian Cole's writing, how the plot develops, her story telling, and OMG THE CHARACTERS - every aspect is impeccable. Piper and Blue captured me, heart and soul and their love story is epic. Born out of a moment of empathy, these two connect and fall fast and furiously. There are some very hard moments, graphic and intense, but the 14 years we spend with Piper and Blue, as they navigate life with and without each other, also contains so much joy. The highs are highs and the lows are low, and you will cheer for this couple to find their way together as the soul mates they are.

Carian tackles some tough topics through Piper and Blue's plight. Set in New Hampshire we meet Piper, the loner and a young woman who feels like an outsider, and Blue (Evan), as they cross paths in a city park. It doesn't take long for the two to form a friendship that leads to much more. Blue's lifestyle as a a homeless musician, confuses Piper but she's accepting of everything Blue is, at least for the most part. As Blue's vagabond tendencies creep back up and take hold, and as much as he wants to be with Piper and how he see's himself and what he feels capable of, it does not include settling down. We might recognize the signs, but Blue is very good at covering up and at being and doing what he thinks is good for Piper - in the long run. What follows is a story of togetherness and separation.

Carian surrounds them both with a support system built of amazing and understanding friends. The story goes in directions I could never have anticipated and it all clicks together. I can't stress enough just how amazing I found this book. It's gritty, raw but will fill you with hope. And I must throw in that the imagery Carian uses throughout the book, well WOW! I'll never look at a ladybug again without feeling LOVE.

I rarely read anything I don't at least like, because I'd rather not waste time reading anything I can't get behind. I've just come to a place here I can filter out what I like pretty darn easily. There are plenty of books I find wonderful, ones that move me in many ways. There's just something extra here, something that TOUCHED me deeply and all I could think was how Carian left nothing out and WOW, where she took it. I don't know that I've ever thought a book was beyond a 5++ rating, but with No Tomorrow I'm inspired to assign the illusive 6 stars, it deserves nothing less. if you read romance you #MustRead this and ready yourself for the mother of all #BookHangovers.

*I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Tomorrow.

September 6, 2018 – Started Reading