Darlene's Reviews > Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World—and Why Things Are Better Than You Think

Factfulness by Hans Rosling

I love books that make you think. This one certainly does that! It took a while to get through it. As you probably know, my reading is done at bedtime. This was not that kind of book. Though it was nonfiction, a lot of it kept me up at night.

There were eye-opening statistics that one might not have thought of before. Predictive statistics that the book talked about were even more eye-opening. One of the most striking was made clear to me, showed that like the chart of a newborn baby can't predict with the same growth later in life. We don't expect a baby to continue to grow as much or as fast as a school child as the newborn. If a person kept that same growth rate we'd all be giants. So predictive charts need to look at other aspects during different times, incomes, health and wealth influences. I know I'm not saying this the way the author did. But the points he made similar to the example I tried to put forth, were equally stunning.

My friend recommended this book and I am glad I followed through. On the other hand, I must admit that I would have gotten a lot more out of the book had I had the paper book. Since I have trouble reading tree-books for the eye-sight and font issue, I listen to the text-to-speech. The problem was that I didn't take the moment to read the charts and graphs presented to help the reader understand how things really are as opposed to how we think they are.

Even so, I found this a super interesting book that in the future I might just try to find the paper book just for the illustrations. Maybe I don't agree with all his perspectives, it seems I have read somewhere that statistics are rarely pure. Most are bent to reflect the person's paid position to research to the paid end. Still closing one's eyes to the possibilities presented in this book are so much more destructive than paying attention and learning what we can from it all.

Give it a try. I picked my copy from the local e-library.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Factfulness.

September 5, 2018 – Shelved