Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > What's Left Unsaid

What's Left Unsaid by Deborah   Stone

bookshelves: 2018-reads, arcs, author-request, hard-soft-copy

Sasha is mom to teenage son, Zac. Her husband is not around, and she is also responsible for her alcoholic mother, Annie.

Zac has reason to suspect he has a secret sibling, and Sasha is faced with the past she has tried desperately to forget.

Annie is aging and feels like she is being visited late husband Joe. She is reliving some secrets from her past as well, and as she does, she is determined to confront all she has worked hard to bury.

Trauma, secrets, and lies are at the heart of the difficult mother-daughter relationship between Annie and Sasha, but this isn’t just their story; I t’s a story of family across generations beginning in the early 1900s through the present day. Specifically, it addresses how World War II trauma affected a family long after the war was over.

I was completely invested in What’s Left Unsaid. Stories of family dynamics are my favorites, and families evolving across time are especially interesting. This book is deeply affecting with so many topics to think about. The Stein family’s story is vividly realistic; it truly could be any family. Warm and well-written, with forgiveness at its core, I found What’s Left Unsaid engaging and compassionate and a novel well worth reading.

Thank you to the author for the complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.

My reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Left Unsaid.

September 5, 2018 – Shelved
September 5, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 24, 2018 – Started Reading
November 24, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
November 24, 2018 – Shelved as: arcs
November 24, 2018 – Shelved as: author-request
November 24, 2018 – Shelved as: hard-soft-copy
February 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Julie Another terrific review, Jennifer! 😊😊

message 2: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Fantastic review, Jennifer!

message 3: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson Wonderful review Jennifer! 💕💐

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Very nice review Jennifer 💐

message 5: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Reading this soon . Your fantastic review has me really looking forward to this!

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Nice review Jennifer!

message 7: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds great Jennifer, super review 💖

message 8: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Wonderful review Jennifer!🤗💜

message 9: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Fantastic, very moving review, Jennifer! I will likely end up adding this one.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Stone I'm so delighted that you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to read it.