Claudie Arseneault's Reviews > Beneath the Citadel

Beneath the Citadel by Destiny Soria

bookshelves: asexual, fantasy, ya, lgbt

Prophecy books usually aren't my cup of tea, but BENEATH THE CITADEL is a deeply engrossing take on them that touches directly upon fate, accountability, and the power of the future. I enjoyed the world depicted here and grew to love all the characters. But especially Newt and Alys and Vesper. I guess I love my thinkers more than I love my sassers!

One of my favourite thing about this book is that it features ex-lovers who are now very close friends, and it works very hard to dispel the idea this means their current relationship is -lesser-. It's different, and sometimes they miss the romantic and sexual components, but neither of them treats this change as a downgrade. This, combined with the asexual rep, made me feel welcome and included in-world.

From memory, books contain trigger warnings for : life-threatening fires and suffocation, near drowning, shackles & other bindings, imprisonment, memory loss and mental intrusions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath the Citadel.

September 5, 2018 – Shelved