Megan & Emily's Reviews > P.S. I Still Love You

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult

** spoiler alert ** Unpopular opinion: This book wasn't good. I apologize in advance if you loved this book, but don't feel offended just because I didn't. I loved the first book in the series; it was a fun read with an intriguing plot. However, the second book's plot did not live up to it. While the first focused around a valid issue, Lara Jean's letters getting out, the second felt odd in that it merely focused on the downsides of Lara Jean and Peter's relationship. We didn't get any special conflict; it was all very ordinary.
I don't quite understand Han's purpose in bringing in John Ambrose McClaren as a love interest. I get that he was a slight loose end in the first novel, but the interaction we received with him in the sequel felt unnecessary. It angered me that there was a spark between John and Lara Jean when she was fresh out of a breakup and still had feelings for Peter.
On that note, I found Lara Jean and even Peter quite annoying at points in the story. If Peter loved her so much why didn't he fight harder for her when they broke up? I understand the conflict with Genevieve and even liked it. It made sense why Lara Jean was jealous and why Peter continued to comfort his ex-girlfriend. Despite this redeeming quality, I thought Jenny Han drug it out more than she needed to. Again, I understand Lara Jean's insecurities, but it still felt like a little much.
It was unusual to me that Jenny decided to write an entire novel over this slight conflict. The novel dragged for me as I felt the entire story could have fit in an entire 20 page chapter rather than a 300 page book. I was really disappointed with this novel as I really enjoyed the first. Overall I think this book is worth 2.5/5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read P.S. I Still Love You.

Finished Reading