Julie's Reviews > Tailspin

Tailspin by Sandra Brown

bookshelves: 2018, e-book, favorite-authors, overdrive, romantic-suspense

Tailspin by Sandra Brown is a 2018 Grand Central Publication.

Entertaining thrill ride-

Rye, a ‘freight dog’ pilot has agreed to fly time sensitive cargo in pea soup fog. But, just as he sees the runway, he’s blinded by a laser and crashes. Thankfully, he’s not injured and the mystery box on-board is undamaged.

When he meets the doctor to which the box is to be delivered to, they get off to a rocky start. But, when Rye learns the package was given, not to Dr. Lambert, as agreed, but to a different doctor, Brynn O’Neal, his suspicions are raised. So he sticks around to make sure the box makes it to the correct receiver. He doesn’t trust Brynn and it’s his reputation on the line.

Brynn is an enigma, a woman with a troubled past, which only magnifies Rye’s distrust of her. But, she intrigues him, tempting him to stick around, not only to protect his reputation, and satisfy his curiosity about the mysterious box Brynn is so protective of, but to keep an eye on the beautiful Dr. O’Neal.

This story starts off like any standard romantic suspense novel- Brynn and Rye collide, literally. Then intrigue develops amid the mistrust and mystery surrounding Brynn and that valuable box everyone is so determined to get their hands on. There’s a lot of sexual tension in the air and some snappy dialogue between the two main characters.

However, the story is slow moving and doesn’t really hit its stride until well over the half way mark. There was enough going on to keep me turning pages, but I wasn’t particularly impressed until the second half got underway. From that point forward, the twists come at you at a rapid- fire pace, and the story takes on a new dimension entirely.

While this plot was not exactly plausible, there were some very real moral dilemmas that were entirely too probable. Big money and greed should not enter into such an equation, but of course it does, and always will. This thought -provoking element gave the story more depth and deepened the character study and growth.

Rye could be a jerk sometimes and his reasoning for sticking around was a little thin, but by the last quarter of the book, he’d redeemed himself and had begun to earn my respect.

Brynn remained a mystery for a long time, but I did feel she was judged harshly, based on her upbringing, without taking into consideration all the accomplishments she had made as an adult. Jeez.

However, at the end of the day, it’s morally bankrupt villains, the danger, action and suspense that propel the story forward as well as the tantalizing romantic elements.

Although, I wouldn’t call this one of Brown’s most impressive stories, it did eventually develop nicely and kept me entertained, which is good enough for me.

3.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tailspin.

September 4, 2018 – Started Reading
September 4, 2018 – Shelved
September 4, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
September 4, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
September 4, 2018 – Shelved as: favorite-authors
September 4, 2018 – Shelved as: overdrive
September 4, 2018 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
September 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Great review! I was on the fence with this one, think I'll push it down the pile.

Julie Tracey wrote: "Great review! I was on the fence with this one, think I'll push it down the pile."

Thank you, Tracey!! It wasn't one of my favorites, for sure, but it was an enjoyable enough way to spend a rainy afternoon.

message 3: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Terrific review, Julie! I'm glad you enjoyed this one, even if it wasn't a Best Read ;)

Kaceey - Traveling Sister Excellent review Julie! I love Sandra Brown, but maybe I’ll pass on this one!🤗

message 5: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad the second half of this book finally got your attention , Julie ;) Wonderful review!! <333 😘

message 6: by JV (last edited Sep 15, 2018 11:00PM) (new) - added it

JV This is a great review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed reading this one :)

message 7: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson Great review Julie! I’m intrigued what was in the box.😊

Carolyn I TOTALLY agree! Great review. I enjoyed it as well.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds great Julie!

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Carter Wonderful review, Julie 😀

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! I'm glad you enjoyed this one, even if it wasn't a Best Read ;)"

Thank you, Jaline!! 😊❤😊

Julie Paula wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, Paula!! 😊❤😊

Julie Rebecca wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie 😀"

Thank you, Rebecca!! 😊❤😊

Julie Holly wrote: "Sounds great Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!! 😊❤😊

Julie Carolyn wrote: "I TOTALLY agree! Great review. I enjoyed it as well."

Thank you, Carolyn!! I'm glad you enjoyed it, too!! 😊❤😊

Julie Nicola wrote: "Great review Julie! I’m intrigued what was in the box.😊"

Thank you, Nicola!! That was the big question! 😊😊

Julie JV wrote: "This is a great review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed reading this one :)"

Thank you, JV!! 😊❤😊

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad the second half of this book finally got your attention , Julie ;) Wonderful review!! <333 😘"

Thank you, KAS!! SB is usually pretty dependable! 😊❤😊

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review Julie! I love Sandra Brown, but maybe I’ll pass on this one!🤗"

Thank you, Kaceey!! This one is not up to her usual standards, but was it was okay. If you skip it, you won't be missing out on anything spectacular, though. 😊❤😊

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Julie! Good to know this is not her best.

message 22: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Julie!

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!!

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! Good to know this is not her best."

Thank you, Jennifer!! She's done much better work. It wasn't bad, just not up to her usual standards.

message 25: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Great review Julie!!! 😊🖤

Julie Kendall wrote: "Great review Julie!!! 😊🖤"

Thank you, Kendall!! 😊❤😊

message 27: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Fabulous review, Julie xx

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie xx"

Thank you, Paromjit!! 😊😊

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review, Julie!! I so need to get to a Sandra Brown novel!!

message 30: by Julie (last edited Sep 16, 2018 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie Jen wrote: "Great review, Julie!! I so need to get to a Sandra Brown novel!!"

Thank you, Jen!! She's usually very consistent. However, this one might not be the best starting point. But, she's one of my very favorite RS authors.

message 31: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie! Glad it was entertaining!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! Glad it was entertaining!"
Thank you, Meredith!! 😊❤😊

Norma * Traveling Sister Fabulous review, Julie! 💜

Julie Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! 💜"

Thank you, Norma!! 😊❤😊

message 35: by sue (new)

sue The book might not be the most impressive but your review was Jules❤️

Julie sue wrote: "The book might not be the most impressive but your review was Jules❤️"

Thank you, so much, Sue!! 😊❤😊

message 37: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Wonderful review!!💖😉

Julie Kat wrote: "Wonderful review!!💖😉"

Thank you, Kat!! 😊❤😊

Melissa Fantastic review, Julie! I agree, this wasn't her best, but I still was glued to the pages. 💙

Julie Melissa wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! I agree, this wasn't her best, but I still was glued to the pages. 💙"

Thank you, Melissa!! Yes, the last half of the book was really good!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, Julie! I love Sandra Brown! Its been awhile since I read her. 💕

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, Julie! I love Sandra Brown! Its been awhile since I read her. 💕"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! This is the first book she's released in a while, I think.

message 43: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Another great review, Julie :)