Jena Henry's Reviews > Death Comes in Through the Kitchen

Death Comes in Through the Kitchen by Teresa Dovalpage

Have you ever thought Why are so there so many books? Why do people like to read anyways, books are boring?! Well, here is my answer. Read this book and you will be hooked on reading. Death Comes in through the Kitchen by Teresa Dovalpage is an amazing, one of a kind book. I could end my review here…

…but I will tell you more because I was so entranced by this book. The author has mixed equal parts hope and history, innocence and despair, beauty and squalor to create a vivid, gritty, but surprisingly upbeat story.

Matt is a journalist writing for a small Hispanic paper in San Diego. He’s a bit lost and wistful. He’s begun writing a popular food column and that’s how he discovers a food blog, Yarmi Cooks Cuban. (The food blogs are delightful.) He and Yarmi get acquainted over the internet and he even goes to Cuba to meet her. After a year of trading more emails with the pretty and coquettish Yarmi, he again goes to Cuba in 2003, with presents and a wedding gown for his sweetheart.

Through Matt’s eyes and the people he meets, we experience a colorful Cuba, with many flavors. The author writes simply but evokes such a heart-rending kaleidoscope of the senses and emotions to convey the beauty and spirit of Cubans.

“The devil is getting married,” people said in the countryside when it rained on a sunny day.”

“And yet, the market wasn’t devoid of charm. The high ceilings lent the place a spacious feel. An array of colors made even the humblest booths look festive. The revolutionary red of the tomatoes brought out the greener-than-the palms shade of the avocados and the bright emerald of the parsley bunches. Oranges, limes and lemons were often found in the same stalls, in happy miscellany. Stout country women with stern faces hovered over their garlic, onions and tubers…”

This is a murder mystery, so there are some dark parts to the story. The murder is solved, but the mystery of Cuba remains an enigma to this day. Highly recommend.

Thanks to Rachels Random Resources for a review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Comes in Through the Kitchen.

September 4, 2018 – Started Reading