Beckiiizzz's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.

Quotes Beckiiizzz Liked

L.M. Montgomery
“My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes.”

L.M. Montgomery
“When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it.”

L.M. Montgomery
“True friends are always together in spirit. (Anne Shirley)”

L.M. Montgomery
“People laugh at me because I use big words. But if you have big ideas, you have to use big words to express them, haven't you?”

L.M. Montgomery
“Red hair is my life long sorrow.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worth while.”

L.M. Montgomery
“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Keep that red-haired girl of yours in the open air all summer and don't let her read books until she gets more spring into her step." This message frightened Marilla wholesomely. She read Anne's death warrant by consumption in it unless it was scrupulously obeyed. As a result, Anne had the golden summer of her life as far as freedom and frolic went. She walked, rowed, berried, and dreamed to her heart's content; and when September came she was bright-eyed and alert, with a step that would have satisfied the Spencervale doctor and a heart full of ambition and zest once more. "I just feel like studying with might and main," she declared as she brought her books down from the attic. "Oh, you good old friends, I'm glad to see your honest face once more - yes, even you, geometry.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?But am I talking too much? People are always telling me I do. Would you rather I didn't talk? If you say so I'll stop. I can STOP when I make up my mind to it, although it's difficult.”

L.M. Montgomery
“I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose WOULD be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.”

L.M. Montgomery
“It was November--the month of crimson sunsets, parting birds, deep, sad hymns of the sea, passionate wind-songs in the pines. Anne roamed through the pineland alleys in the park and, as she said, let that great sweeping wind blow the fogs out of her soul.”

L.M. Montgomery
“It is ever so much easier to be good if your clothes are fashionable.”

L.M. Montgomery
“I've done my best, and I begin to understand what is meant by 'the joy of strife'. Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Some people go through life trying to find out what the world holds for them only to find out too late that it's what they bring to the world that really counts.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Don't be very frightened, Marilla. I was walking the ridge-pole and I fell off. I suspect I have sprained my ankle. But, Marilla, I might have broken my neck. Let us look on the bright side of things.”

L.M. Montgomery
“But really, Marilla, one can't stay sad very long in such an interesting world, can one?”

L.M. Montgomery
“Jane's stories are too sensible. Then Diana puts too much murders into hers. She says most of the time she doesn't know what to do with the people so she kills them off to get rid of them."

-Anne Shirley”

L.M. Montgomery
“Do you know what I think Mayflowers are, Marilla? I think they must be the souls of the flowers that died last summer, and this is their heaven.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Why must people kneel down to pray? If I really wanted to pray I’ll tell you what I'd do. I'd go out into a great big field all alone or in the deep, deep woods and I'd look up into the sky—up—up—up—into that lovely blue sky that looks as if there was no end to its blueness. And then I'd just feel a prayer.”

L.M. Montgomery
“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”

L.M. Montgomery
“But if you call me Anne, please call me Anne with an 'e'.”

L.M. Montgomery
“You mayn't get the things themselves; but nothing can prevent you from having the fun of looking forward to them.”

L.M. Montgomery
“The world looks like something God had just imaged for his own pleasure, doesn't it?”

L.M. Montgomery
“Anne: "But have you ever noticed one encouraging thing about me, Marilla? I never make the same mistake twice".

Marilla: "I don't know as that's much benefit when you're always making new ones".”

L.M. Montgomery
“Do you think amethysts can be the souls of good violets?”

L.M. Montgomery
“It's delightful when your imaginations come true, isn't it?”

L.M. Montgomery
“But I just went to work and imagined that I had on the most beautiful pale blue silk dress — because when you are imagining you might as well imagine something worth while…”

L.M. Montgomery
“Oh, here we are at the bridge. I'm going to shut my eyes tight. I’m always afraid going over bridges. I can't help imagining that perhaps, just as we get to the middle, they'll crumple up like a jackknife and nip us. So I shut my eyes. But I always have to open them for all when I think we're getting near the middle. Because, you see, if the bridge did crumple up I'd want to see it crumple. What a jolly rumble it makes! I always like the rumble part of it. Isn't it splendid there are so many things to like in this world? There, we're over. Now I'll look back. Good night, dear Lake of Shining Waters. I always say good night to the things I love, just as I would to people. I think they like it. That water looks as if it was smiling at me.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Oh, but there's such a difference between saying a thing yourself and hearing other people say it,' wailed Anne. 'You may know a thing is so, but you can't help hoping other people don't quite think it is.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Oh, we're very careful, Marilla. And it's so interesting. Two flashes means, "Are you there?" Three means "yes" and four "no." Five means, "Come over as soon as possible, because I have something important to reveal." Diana has just signalled five flashes, and I'm really suffering to know what it is.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Anne, are you killed?' shrieked Diana, throwing herself on her knees beside her friend. 'Oh, Anne, dear Anne, speak just one word to me and tell me if you're killed.”

L.M. Montgomery
“I don't know that she is as amusing as she was when she was a child, but she makes me love her and I like people who make me love them. It saves me so much trouble in making myself love them.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Well now, I'd rather have you than a dozen boys, Anne,' said Matthew patting her hand. 'Just mind you that — rather than a dozen boys. Well now, I guess it wasn't a boy that took the Avery scholarship, was it? It was a girl — my girl — my girl that I'm proud of.”

L.M. Montgomery
“I've just been imagining that it was really me you wanted after all and that I was to stay here for ever and ever. It was a great comfort while it lasted. But the worst of imagining things is that the time comes when you have to stop and that hurts.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Which would you rather be if you had the choice--divinely beautiful or dazzlingly clever or angelically good?”

L.M. Montgomery
“...“Oh, Marilla, looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them,” exclaimed Anne. “You mayn’t get the things themselves; but nothing can prevent you from having the fun of looking forward to them. Mrs. Lynde says, ‘Blessed are they who expect nothing for they shall not be disappointed.’ But I think it would be worse to expect nothing than to be disappointed.”...”

L.M. Montgomery
“It would be so much easier to be good if one’s hair was handsome auburn, don’t you think?”

L.M. Montgomery
“But you have such dimples," said Anne, smiling affectionately into the pretty, vivacious face so near her own. "Lovely dimples, like little dents in cream. I have given up all hope of dimples. My dimple-dream will never come true; but so many of my dreams have that I mustn't complain. Am I all ready now?”

L.M. Montgomery
“I can just imagine myself sitting down at the head of the table and pouring out the tea," said Anne, shutting her eyes ecstatically. "And asking Diana if she takes sugar! I know she doesn't but of course I'll ask her just as if I didn't know.”
tags: tea

L.M. Montgomery
“Mrs. Spencer said it was wicked of me to talk like that, but I didn’t mean to be wicked. It’s so easy to be wicked without knowing it, isn’t it?”

L.M. Montgomery
“You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair," said Anne reproachfully. "People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is.”

L.M. Montgomery
“ANNE: You said you'd keep me in my room until I confessed. I just thought up a good confession and made it as interesting as I could.

MARILLA: But it was still a lie.

ANNE: You wouldn't believe the truth.”