Kasa Cotugno's Reviews > Listen to the Marriage

Listen to the Marriage by John Jay Osborn Jr.

bookshelves: arc, loc-usa-ca-sf, theme-family, theme-psychology

At times, Listen to the Marriage reminded me of In Treatment, the HBO series starring Gabriel Byrne, in which most of the action takes place within the therapist's office. But here we have an in depth analysis of only one couple, Gretchen and Steve, who as the book begins are already living separately. Sandy, their counselor, has issues of her own which are revealed to the reader, but also surprisingly at times to her clients. To someone not versed in therapy or who has never had this experience, it can be a daunting, mysterious process, one in which progress may or may not be made mostly through incremental steps. I have never read such a detailed account of struggle and pain, and found it heavy going at times, but then, isn't that an essential ingredient of therapy. The writing is beautiful, and the experience, rewarding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listen to the Marriage.

September 3, 2018 – Started Reading
September 3, 2018 – Shelved
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: loc-usa-ca-sf
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: theme-family
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: theme-psychology
September 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura This is the first time I see a novel focusing almost exclusively? on therapy, and presumably the conversations between all three, the couple, the therapist, and probably individual sessions with the therapist. It is very much the type of material that interests me. Thank you very much for the review.

Kasa Cotugno Laura wrote: "This is the first time I see a novel focusing almost exclusively? on therapy, and presumably the conversations between all three, the couple, the therapist, and probably individual sessions with th..."
Thank you, Laura. Yes, the fact that it solely concerns the participants and their therapist makes it unique.