Huntie's Reviews > Tuesdays with Morrie

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Jun 28, 2007

Recommended for: anyone really
Read in June, 2007

So I read this book during the week that I was sick with the end-of-semester plague. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I went into reading it thinking that it would either be complete sentimental crappy pap or that it would be amazing. It was neither extreme, rather, it was just a nice little read.

The book is about a college professor (Morrie) that the author (Mitch ALbom) had while at Brandeis University. This prof. had a profound impact on Albom while he was a student, but as happens when people graduate ALbom lost touch with Morrie. Through a well-timed coincidence, Albom happened to see Morrie interviewed on a newsmagazine show and discovered that the man who'd had such a profound impact on his life was now in the grips of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and wouldn't be on this plane much longer. As luck would have it, the newspaper Albom was working at during this time was having a writers' strike, so Albom was able to go and spend every Tuesday for several months with his old professor. Albom made a list of things that his generation was "hung up" on, and he and Morrie had long conversations (recorded by Albom) about each topic.

What struck a chord with me was the underlying message of how we need to look out for each other and show each other more love and compassion. It's funny because this is something that I really think most of us know, but most of us also rarely take the time to really consider how we're treating the people we encounter while we move about our lives. The other message I came away with (I hate using the word message because it implies the book is something it's not)was that if there's someone in your life who has made a big difference in some capacity, tell them how much you appreciate them and how much they mean to you because they will not be around forever. This rang especially true for me because I lost my grandpa last summer and I was lucky enough to be able to tell him how much he meant to me, but others may not have that chance.

Overall, I would recommend this book if you are looking for an inspiring, quick read (I read this in one day). You'll be happy yuo gave it a chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesdays with Morrie.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Saleh Dadpour I think you read the book in a very good time, the time that you were ill and it is also interesting for me that you read it just in one day (I personally do it in about 2 weeks or more!) and get the main points and messages of the book the same as I did. Totally. I recommended this book to my family and friends too ;)

message 1: by Rahul (new) - added it

Rahul Chandani Hi, this is Rahul from India...Plz mail it to me at rahulchandani2007@yahoo.com if possible..thnx..