Educating Drew's Reviews > Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

1020619
Dec 27, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, ah-may-zing, western, classics

Ummmm…this book is EPIC. And I totally mean epic in the real sense of the word and not in the slang stance my students have taken to; although, it’s epic in that way also. We start out in Lonesome Dove and end up back in Lonesome Dove with a whole heck of a lot of interesting and frightful things happening in between.

When I signed up for the challenge I did a quick google of westerns and upon realizing this one had one the Pulitzer, I figured I might as well dive it and educate myself. (I am ignorant, friends. I don’t know if I’ve ever read another book that won the Pulitzer).

So, back to Lonesome Dove. Man, oh man, can I encourage you to not wait as long as I did to pick this up? I admit some of the scenes were tough for me to read, like the Indian massacre scenes. I’m okay with gore, but I s’pose this was harder because it was REAL. The characters were crazy three-dimensional and even though the writing wasn’t as lyrical as I would expect for me to get emotionally vested, I was. Yeah, I cried. I admit it. There were scenes.

This is such a great journey and I really did feel as though I travelled with this fellows. There's something to be said about the ways of the west (and omg, did I just really say that?!)

I don’t know if I’ll cave and claim that I’m partial to westerns, but I will be more open-minded in the future. PLUS, I have the mini-series ready to record on my DVR.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonesome Dove.